Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubbfan

Reaction score
I've brewed a batch of brown ale from a kit. The ale seemed to be fermenting just fine for the first 18 hours or so, then I went away for the evening. When I came back, I noticed 1) the yeast was not bubbling from the airlock so vigorously (bubble once every two minutes or so) and 2) the temperature in the basement closet where my primary fermentation vessel is was around 60 degrees. I moved it to another location in my basement which is closer to 70 degrees, however the bubbling action didn't pick up either. I wouldn't be so concerned, but the beer has only been fermenting for less than 48 hours now and it seems to be done fermenting. Any suggestions what I should do? Thanks in advance.

Once it is warmed up did you try stirring the get the yeasties back in suspension?... don't splash but try gently stirring up the sediment.

Even though it well known that hydrometers are totally useless peices of junk, if you take a reading, you'll know if it is stuck or just a fast ferment. Browns are small beers and can ferment completely in 24 hours.

My reading is 1.012 at 72 degrees. I believe that means the actual corrected reading is 1.0135. That would suggest that fermentation is complete given a starting gravity of 1.05, right?

Latest posts

Back