Got my Grain Mill and my first bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
Got tired of buying grains online for a couple of reasons.

1. Sometimes it wouldn't get here in time for the brewday
2. I never could help but to think, "what if that's not the malt I ordered?"
3. Save $$$ on grains by buying bulk

I know I know, but for all I know I could have gotten malt from the US instead of the UK. Who can tell the difference. and there probably isn't much of a different but I'm anal like that. I guess I like to be in control as much as possible.

Anyways I got a Barley Crusher with the 7lb grain holder. It comes set up at .039 Is this where I want to be?

I also got a bag of Weyermann Pale (what they had). It come out $1.18 a pound!

I feel good about the purchase, In the long run I believe I will save money.

.39 is ok?

What are different settings I could use or should I just stick with one?

condition your malt and you can set the mill tighter and still have the husks be mostly intact. i tried it recently and it's amazing, no need for rice hulls anymore.

.039" is a good place to start. I would make sure you have your other processes down, before messing with the gap..

BTW, when I used grain milled at .039", via BIAB, I got 78-82% efficiency. My last batch, via my cooler mash tun, with a proper mash-out in the schedule hit 84%. I plan on going through a few more to see where the range settles. Once I have that, I MIGHT adjust the mill, or I'll just leave it as it sits.

I would get a set of feeler gauges so that you can see if it's set the same on both ends. Once locked in, I'd leave it be.

Is that like splitting hairs or is there a real difference. I imagine there isn't.

Completely splitting hairs. I moved the rollers in a pinch, and got too lazy to move it in any further. I get 78-82% depending on how much grain I use, so I never bothered to adjust it any further

Mine is set at .032 and I've been conditioning my malt. The last brew I was a bit pressed for time so I skipped the conditioning and the crush was fine as is. I've been doing BIAB recently so I might set it even tighter the next time I have it apart for a clean/lube job.

Back