Which oxygenation method is better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrongCoastBrewery

Reaction score
So for an early Christmas present, I got an oxygenation system from AHB from a family member. This is the air pump one with all fittings, stone, and hepa filter. I usually just use my bottling bucket to help oxygenate the wort by using the spigot to pour the wort into the fermenter. I also have heard of the O2 bottle method. Which is better?

O2 kit > air pump > most other methods

The biggest advantage of the O2 kit is that it only takes a minute and will definitely get you the saturation that is required.

The best method is where you use O2 through a stone with a real regulator and then measure the DO with a meter.

I like using pure O2, 60 second shot seems to work great...better its repeatable. However, given a recent post about oxygenation I'm in the mindset to play with different amount of time to hit it with and then do some triangle tests to see what yields the best results.

With homebrewing there is usually a BEST method, and a BEST FOR YOU method. While pure 02 may be the best method, if you are like me and always forget those little details (new 02 tank) when preparing for brewday, then the air pump is a little more convenient.

Lots of people have made lots of good beer just pouring between buckets for aeration, it's all about where you think your energies are best used.

I bought an oxygen tank when I decided to do my first lager. Before that my method consisted of one good splashing pour from the boil kettle into the fermenter, followed by a vigorous stir immediately after pitching my yeast. That was it. I brewed a number of ale batches that turned out fine with that method. Now that I have the O2 tank, I'll use it, but wouldn't panic if I was brewing an ale and found out I was out of O2.

i use this right here and hit my wort at .5PSI for about 2 min with excellent results.

IMG_0825.jpg

Yeah, not sure I am crazy about having the air pump in the wort for up to 30 minutes. Guess I will exchange it.

I wouldn't exchange it. Like the man said, it's what you have. I have been brewing great beers without any 02 addition besides a good rocking. My beers usually start at the high end of the extract kit's predicted SG, and my OG is usually 1.010-1.012.

Use it. When you outgrow it, either sell it here or gift it in the pay it forward thread. It will serve your purposes until you outgrow it.

Heck, just add the aquarium pump to your current system of pouring from the spigot or if you're able, just pour from the kettle right into the fermenter and then add the oxygen pump for 10 minutes while you're prepping the yeast.

So for an early Christmas present, I got an oxygenation system from AHB from a family member. This is the air pump one with all fittings, stone, and hepa filter. I usually just use my bottling bucket to help oxygenate the wort by using the spigot to pour the wort into the fermenter. I also have heard of the O2 bottle method. Which is better?

If you can exchange it, I think the mix-stir is the best air based method. You really only need anything else if you make lagers, IMO. O2 is a nice to have for high gravity ales too.

Back