Beersmith question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photogscott

Reaction score
Just purchased Beersmith and I thought I'd post this here instead of the nearly dead software forum.

When I choose single infusion, medium body, batch sparge, It calculates 12 quarts mash-in for 15# of grain. Sounds a little low. Funny if I set it for light body it shoots up to 18 qts. Don't really want "light body" 'cause it wants a mash temp of 150.

I would normally just do the basic single infusion settings. But since I paid for the program I'm hoping for feedback first. Nothing better than max efficiency!

I'm not really sure how the batch sparge calculations are done. I couldn't really tell what the differences were other than mash in temps. What I do is determine what water/grain ratio I want and the mash in temp I'm looking for and let it determine the strike temp. After you select the mash profile, you can double-click on any step and modify it to your liking.

Not only that, but when you click Choose, you have the option in the lower left to make a "new" mash program. Call it what you want, use the liquor:grain you like, lengths and temps are all up to you.
He just put some basic "starters" in there for you to get the program running.

Exactly- use your own mash calculations under "my mash". How ever many quarts/pound you are wanting to do, and it'll calculate it at the right temp.

I love Beersmith. Does it all for me. In your Mash Prifile, you can change the amount of liquor to grain ratio. Your right, 12 qts is low. My software shows 1.25 qts per pound and thats about right. You want a thicker mash to increase the mouth feel. If you go to your mash profile--- dbl click on the one you want to change--- and dbl. click on the part you want to change, you can set the liquor to grain ratio.

Back