Mash Tun Pickup Tube Placement For RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sco999

Reaction score
This is for a RIMS system.
I am wondering where is the ideal placement for my pickup tube in my Mash Tun.
I am using a SS false bottom that sits above my coupler and valve.

My original plan was to use a 90deg Street Elbow @ the coupler with a closed nipple ground down enough to keep it barely off the bottom of the tun. (This is what I have been using in my BK and HLT barely any dead loss) My concern is that I will lose efficiency since I will only be sucking from one side.

My other plan is to use a dip-tube under the False bottom that sucks from the center of the tun.

My thought is since I will be recirculating the entire mash everything will be getting mixed up anyways, and I will be fine with the street elbow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

The location, center or side, will make little, if any difference IMO. No need to worry about some wort left behind in the mash tun if you are fly sparging. There will be only a tiny amount of sugar remaining when you near the end of the sparge. This very small loss is negligible. Batch sparging is different in that respect, but you could simply tilt the kettle some near the end of the runoff if necessary. Use a little more sparge water to compensate for any unrecoverable wort left behind. It's not a big deal at all.

Cat22,
Thanks for the reply. I think I will go with the street elbow, it is cheaper and easier. Unless someone talks me out of it.

Latest posts

Back