Leftovers Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neovox

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanksgiving has me thinking about leftovers. So I'm looking for advise on a recipe that will use up as much of my leftover hops as possible. My current inventory of leftovers is:

1 oz Nugget (leaf)
1 oz East Kent (pellet)
.5 oz Halletau (pellet)
.5 oz Chinook (pellet)
.5 oz Willamette (pellet)
.5 oz Centennial (pellet)
.5 oz Cascade (pellet)

Anyone have any good recipe ideas? :mug:

Get your hands on some domestic 2-row to get you to 1.045-1.050. Bitter with the nugget and add the Chinook, Willamette, Centennial, and Cascade from 15-0 in whatever order/ratio to make a nice hopbursted pale ale.

Played with an American Ale type recipe but decided to go the IPA route instead given the strength of the nugget and chinook. Here's what I'm considering.

10.00 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1.00 oz Nugget [12.50%] (50 min) Hops 37.8 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.40%] (40 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.50%] (30 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.9 %
Bitterness: 69.6 IBU
Est Color: 7.1 SRM

Unless there's a theme behind it, the 30, 40 and 50min additions are a waste. IMO, if its under 60mins, it should be under 20mins, otherwise it's underutilized for bitterness and adds lil to no aroma/flavor. Plus, you need larger late additions if you want to call it an IPA, its more like strong pale ale now. Also, since the nugget is leaf, I'd save it for dry hop or flameout vs wasting the freshness at 50. I'd go with something like for a weak IPA/Strong APA (around 45IBUs):
0.5oz Centennial (FWH)
0.5oz Chinook (FWH)
0.5oz Willy (10min)
0.5oz Cascade (5min)
1oz Nugget (dry or flameout)

That's an interesting approach. I've never done the first wort hop method either, so this leftovers recipe might be a good time to give it a go. I would just add the FWH hops at lautering, right?

For BeerSmith calculations do you use whatever the duration of the boil is for the time?

just add them to the first runnings.

yup, and set it to FWH too since it makes a slight uptick in utilization

Back