Prototype Previews: Hopback and Heat Stick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tighten it down till you see the gasket start to push out and the diameter becomes slightly larger than the triclovers.

Bobby, how's the testing going? I would buy the hop back tomorrow if it were available. Or do you have any prototypes you'd be willing to sell? It looks awesome!

Bobby - Thanks for shipping this so fast. I received it this morning. Holy Crow - this thing is built like a tank. I really didn't expect such a solid, clean, and beautiful hunk of metal. Everything is wonderfully thick and sturdy.... wow... I'm impressed, this will be the heatstick that gets passed from generation to generation!

Quick question: I'm new to tri-clamps so I'm wondering how you know that you've tightened the thumbscrew enough when you put it all together? Any guidance is appreciated N_G.

Thanks.. Just tighten enough to make the gasket bulge out slightly.. oops.. I see that was answered already.

any updates on the heatstick??? need another tester :D????

just moved from a house to an apartment, cant run propane :-( and stove is too weak! i was going to DIY one, but i am thinking about just waiting for yours.

The hopback is definitely coming first because there was much more interest in it. They are officially in production now with native camlock, NPT, and triclover I/O ports. August 1st is a very rough ETA. There was also a lot of interest at NHC for a larger unit that could hold 4-5oz of leaf hops. I'm working on it.

Are there going to be filters available for the hopback as well. So it can be used as just a trub filter too.

The hopback is definitely coming first because there was much more interest in it. They are officially in production now with native camlock, NPT, and triclover I/O ports. August 1st is a very rough ETA. There was also a lot of interest at NHC for a larger unit that could hold 4-5oz of leaf hops. I'm working on it.

Hellz yeah!! I def like the idea of a larger hopback. I almost bought the 1.5 gallon hopback from Stout Tanks but I prefer your camlock desing better.

See the update that the move to the new location was successful. Now when can I order my hopback.

Bobby, I came across this thread while researching different electric options. I was debating drilling and installing the element in the kettle, but the heatstick build looks amazing and I love the portability idea. It also looks fairly easy for me to swap elements should I need to replace them.

Please do update the thread when you have more info and ensure shipping to Canada is offered ;)

Sorry for the lack of updates. This was just really bad timing trying to develop two new offerings. Between moving my shop, attending NHC, moving my family to a new house, and losing an employee, I'm losing my mind.

Initial tests on the hopback are promising but not 100% conclusive regarding the coarse internal filters. In order to make it useful for whole hops and also rice hull filtering, the perforation size has to be just right. Regardless, I have some 35 units in production right now. I'll be fabricating the filters locally once I get that detail firmed up.

I have been working on the heat sticks as well with various pot/keg clamp methods. If I wanted to half ass it, I could just make them bare bones and you'd just rest them on the bottom of the pot. I know I can do better. I've been spending a small fortune on raw materials to prototype various ideas. Two forum members currently have two of the early units to play around with but I haven't heard back yet.

Sorry for the lack of updates. This was just really bad timing trying to develop two new offerings. Between moving my shop, attending NHC, moving my family to a new house, and losing an employee, I'm losing my mind.

Initial tests on the hopback are promising but not 100% conclusive regarding the coarse internal filters. In order to make it useful for whole hops and also rice hull filtering, the perforation size has to be just right. Regardless, I have some 35 units in production right now. I'll be fabricating the filters locally once I get that detail firmed up.

I have been working on the heat sticks as well with various pot/keg clamp methods. If I wanted to half ass it, I could just make them bare bones and you'd just rest them on the bottom of the pot. I know I can do better. I've been spending a small fortune on raw materials to prototype various ideas. Two forum members currently have two of the early units to play around with but I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for the update. I am look forward to seeing the final version of both products.

I have one of the early heat sticks. I love it. I am content to let it rest on the bottom of the pot; it suits my process. I had thought about hanging it with one of these,
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Cramik-Ent...er-Plated-Milford-Pipe-Hanger-4009/100352598/

but it seemed like overkill when gravity will keep it where I need it. I would have held the pipe in the clamp and bent the strap to hang over the pot. But I don't need it. I currently need to get a more suitable element for it and will do so soon.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have one of the early heat sticks. I love it. I am content to let it rest on the bottom of the pot; it suits my process. I had thought about hanging it with one of these,
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Cramik-Ent...er-Plated-Milford-Pipe-Hanger-4009/100352598/

but it seemed like overkill when gravity will keep it where I need it. I would have held the pipe in the clamp and bent the strap to hang over the pot. But I don't need it. I currently need to get a more suitable element for it and will do so soon.

Do you use this heat stick by itself or in conjunction with a burner? Personally I'm looking to add an element on a 20 amp 120 v circuit to assist my burner to cut down on propane cost and to reduce my brew day a little. Hoping this can be an easy solution.

My system is modeled after the blichmann brew easy. So I bring 9 to 11 gallons up to strike temp with propane and the 120v stick with a 4400w element (~1200 watts on 120v). Once I strike in, the heatstick stays in the grant vessel (the one below the mash tun) and keeps the constantly recirculating wort at the right temp via a PID. I no longer need to worry about propane during the mash. A float switch keeps the wort levels sufficient to cover the heatstick. Essentially I can strike in and it is a hands off mash until it is time to mash out. Works great!

I don't plan to use the stick during the boil, propane takes care of that.

Are you planning on releasing a bare bones version and an RTD version of the heat stick? I'm interested in the bare bones version if you have any more prototypes available, or if you decide to release them.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Are you planning on releasing a bare bones version and an RTD version of the heat stick? I'm interested in the bare bones version if you have any more prototypes available, or if you decide to release them.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Is RTD Resistance Temperature Detector?

I was one of the guys who came up to you right after the presentation on no-boil hop additions. I'm looking forward to a 6oz hopback!

Bobby, I'm highly interested in one of your heatsticks - I'm more inclined for you to let us choose our own method of securing it because you never know how high someone's kettle might be. When do you think these will be released? I'd rather buy one from you than deal with the drain-pipe method. Thanks!

As of the first production units, we're sticking with the 1-2 ounce of whole hops size. It's not a the end of the story but I'm trying to fill a gap in the market for an inexpensive hop back for the 5 gallon batch brewer. The next size would be for 4-5 ounces and I think that means 4" diameter x 10" length.

As of the first production units, we're sticking with the 1-2 ounce of whole hops size. It's not a the end of the story but I'm trying to fill a gap in the market for an inexpensive hop back for the 5 gallon batch brewer. The next size would be for 4-5 ounces and I think that means 4" diameter x 10" length.

That larger one would make an awesome mini-grant for pumps/etc...

Any word on the heatstick progress?

:mug:

The larger size sounds perfect for my 10-20 gallon setup, can't wait. I know conical-fermenter.com sells some for my size but I like your idea of an additional filter.

I'm all about the bare bones heatstick too. I don't see a reason why it would need to be off the bottom anyways.

I have been thinking about adding a heat stick and would sure like a nice, custom made unit over a hacked together home depot project...

Very interested in the heat stick. Could easily fabricate stand to keep off bottom. Let us know when ready I understand you want it to be top quality and a top design. Im sure this forum group will help you achieve this.

I am in the market for a heat stick, are there any updates, need beta testers etc....

I am switching over to a induction cooktop and will supplement power with a heat stick at raise temp quicker when needed.

Hey.. I used my system to do sous vide this weekend with the prototype heat stick shown earlier. That thing is great. Solid and no leaks - it is hefty and stays where you put it. It won't wobble around in the recirculating water. I love it and the family loved the tender pork loin it cooked up! N_G

Back