High bottling gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lametrout

Reaction score
i brewed a brewers best octoberfest with wyeast 1007 german ale yeast at about 60 62 temp for 3 weeks and it slowey when down to 1.017 on saturday and 1.016 on sundat morning wheni was goona bottle ....so i thought thats close enough, did i do a newbie mistake or will it be fine the og was 1.053

You might have. I've gotten 1.050's down to 1.010-1.012 more than a few times. Keep an eye/ear open for the bottles. & keep them in boxes or tubs just in case. Don't be in a hurry,be sure.

Don't really know until you open one. Your best bet is to take readings every day until you get the same reading three days in a row. You will know for sure that's its done. If your keep the temp within the parameters of the yeast guidelines, fermentation should be finished in about 7 days. Of course there are variables but it won't change much on the time.

yeah its a lil cooler in my house than the optimum fermentation temp so i thought i would keep in in fermentator for 3 weeks. so i checked it throughout and it slowly decreased and the yeast foam all went to the bottom so i thought it was pretty much done

should i be fearful of exploding bottles i went on brewers best and they said og to be 1.056-52 and final to be 1.016-12....but thats with there lager yeast i used an ale

What does the ale yeast say the fermentation range is? If the gravity kept getting lower with each test it want done. Fermentation will slow considerably when you are at the lower range of the temp.

As far as bottle bombs, you won't really know till you open it. If it was in the fermenter for 3 weeks it should have settled well. Look in the bottles see how much sediment is there. If there is just a little you might be ok. Of there a fair amount, it might be prudent to open it outside or in the sink.

Give them 3-4 weeks in bottles at 70F. Then a week in the fridge should help a lot to prevent beercanos when openning them. And checking the SG every single day is a large waste of beer. I wait two weeks before taking a first FG sample to see where I'm at. It may get another week before I test it again. Always minimize gravity samples so you don't waste too much beer fiddling with it. Gravity won't change much in 24 hours after initial fermentation is over. At that point it's fermenting pretty slowly down to FG.

Back