Guilty as Charged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshrode21

Reaction score
Ok I know I'm not the only one...who else does it? I find a kit beer that I absolute love, change maybe one or two small ingredients that I think will make it better, and then call it my own with its own name. Im sorry its just the best way to make sure all my beers I make are fantastic.

I don't use beer kits, but I think it's always kind of a fuzzy line when a beer is 'yours' or not. Can you call it by your own name just because you made it? Because you used your well water? A pilsener, and many such carefully-developed styles, are all made with pretty much the same ingredients. Should they be called by different names?

We should probably develop some sort of etiquette for this. How much do you have to change a recipe to call it your own name? Or mention your inspiration?

Ok I know I'm not the only one...who else does it? I find a kit beer that I absolute love, change maybe one or two small ingredients that I think will make it better, and then call it my own with its own name. Im sorry its just the best way to make sure all my beers I make are fantastic.

I look at the BJCP list to see what ingredients might go into a style, look at ABV and IBU and then w/BeerSmith design my own brews. I also look at Designing Great Beers" to see what grains might be used. But the amounts are all mine.

Oh, I did use a recipe for the S.N. Torpedo Clone. That's why I didn't give it my own name.

Back