Mash Tun? Is PVC a bad choice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
From my questions recently you can tell I'm about to convert a cooler to a mash tun. I have been looking at a lot of different types on the internet and was planning on getting my fittings from bargainfittings.com then using PVC pipe at the bottom of the cooler.

I have now read in a bunch of different places that PVC pipe doesn't handle heat very well and will eventually give out. I saw one site say that anything over 140 degrees was too much and most strike water temps are above 152 if I'm not mistaken.

Have any of you experienced any problems with PVC?

This is why people are using CPVC (chlorinated polyvinyl chloride) and not PVC. It's melting point is 212 degrees F and is used in hot water applications.

The 140F rating on PVC pipe is for the jointing compound, not the pipe.

I did my first AG a month ago with PVC pipe. I haven't died yet, but I'm still waiting on the beer to carbonate.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure the temp ratings are for transferring liquid under some sort of pressure. I used CPVC just in case though.

I too used cpvc. The piping and joints are at Lowes and Home Depot for around the same price. Either way it was pretty cheap for all the piping and fittings.

got it! thanks guys and gals - I will be converting my cooler today possibly if I can find a brass ball valve and hose barb at the hardware store.

I am thinking about using a CPVC male adapter rather than a brass bulk head to make the connection to the rest of the cpvc pipe better. Does anyone see a problem with this?

I used cvpc for everything - even the ball valve. Its been working great for a dozen or more batches.

Not that it matters much here, but I didn't think PVC was for pottable water, only waste.
I used CPVC. A 10 foot section was 4 bucks at home depot.

There are both PVC grades of pipe for water and wastewater. The main differences are pressure rating and wall thickness.

Just curious. Why not copper or SS? Too pricey? If its price I don't see it being pricey. Its a one time investment. You try to buy the best ingredients, no?

I just acquired my AG setup about week ago, knowing very little about AG, and having only done two extract brews using Coopers, so I am still reviewing/documenting all the equipment I have acquired. I might try and purchase one of those false bottom thingies if it is a substitute for the CPVC piping, but I need to buy a bar mat/drip tray first for the kegerator.

cheers
-Chris

I was planning on using pvc for the base of my mlt but haven't gotten around to it yet. I did use some pvc to help measure the amount of water in my kettle and at around 150° when I checked the level it softened and warped the pvc so I know first hand that pvc would not be appropriate for the mlt.

OK- so yeah im digging up older stuff here but......

Why arnt more people using pvc for the MLT converstion instead of brass or SS.
Yes metal is cool and all but isnt the pvc fittings just as good?

So the thing about leaching ~ what about the plastic cooler that your mashing in.... isnt that some type of pvc plastics? is it any more designed to handle the heat that would pull chemicals out of pvc pipe/fittings????????

Explain please...

Just shooting from the hip.....(and opinionated!)

But PVC is used in drainage, not supply.
CPVC can be used for supply.
CPVC has a melting point of 212C and working temp of 90C (but where is its outgassing point?)

Plastics are usually made from oil/petroleum doesn't sound all that safe to me. (especially at elevated temps) Many thing were deemed safe then taken off the market. BPA, Asbestos, etc.

Brass isn't all that much more, why risk it? Spend all that time, money and effort on the beer/ingredients just to skimp there? (weakest link saying comes to mind)

quoted from Wiki:

CPVC Comparison to polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
Chemical resistance

CPVC as well as PVC exhibits a good resistance to acids and bases (depending on the acid/base). There are several cases where it is useful to stay with PVC (e.g. ammonia hydrous solution, hydrofluoric acid). Additionally, it exhibits excellent resistance to salts and aliphatic hydrocarbons.

Since the chemical properties of resins may vary according to the amount of chlorination and the types and quantity of additives, manufacturers' recommendations should be consulted before designing material handling systems using CPVC.
Heat resistance

CPVC can withstand corrosive water at temperatures greater than PVC, typically 40°C to 50°C (104°F to 122°F) or higher, contributing to its popularity as a material for water piping systems in residential as well as commercial construction.
Mechanical properties

The principal mechanical difference between CPVC and PVC is that CPVC is significantly more ductile, allowing greater flexure and crush resistance. Additionally, the mechanical strength of CPVC makes it a viable candidate to replace many types of metal pipe in conditions where metal's susceptibility to corrosion limits its use.
Fire properties

CPVC is similar to PVC in resistance to fire. It is typically very difficult to ignite and tends to self-extinguish when not in a directly applied flame.

Due to its chlorine content, the incineration of CPVC, either in a fire or in an industrial disposal process, can result in the creation of dioxins.

OK- so yeah im digging up older stuff here but......

Why arnt more people using pvc for the MLT converstion instead of brass or SS.
Yes metal is cool and all but isnt the pvc fittings just as good?

So the thing about leaching ~ what about the plastic cooler that your mashing in.... isnt that some type of pvc plastics? is it any more designed to handle the heat that would pull chemicals out of pvc pipe/fittings????????

Explain please...

When you get your CPVC fittings, don't forget to get a couple feet of thermoplastic tubing for your runoff tube. Vinyl tubing is no good for many of the same reasons that PVC is no good.

Bubba, Thanks for explaining!! Ill be building my MLT next week and really got wondering... I am currious about the difference in the plastics of the cooler because I would assume that they are made from similar pvs.
Cheers!

From my questions recently you can tell I'm about to convert a cooler to a mash tun. I have been looking at a lot of different types on the internet and was planning on getting my fittings from bargainfittings.com then using PVC pipe at the bottom of the cooler.

I have now read in a bunch of different places that PVC pipe doesn't handle heat very well and will eventually give out. I saw one site say that anything over 140 degrees was too much and most strike water temps are above 152 if I'm not mistaken.

Have any of you experienced any problems with PVC?

Finished building my copper manifold today. I used about $12 worth of parts

Deltac

Back