Can I add specialty grains to make this recipe better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickhead

Reaction score
I'm about to go get the ingredients for a creme ale. My question is: Can I add specialty grains w/ this recipe to spice it up? Can I substitute specialty grains for some of the LME or DME? If so, which would you suggest?

The recipe is...

3.3 lbs. Liquid Light Extract
2.00 lbs. Dry Light Extract
0.15 lbs. Lactose
0.5 oz. Cluster (Pellets, 7.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cluster (Pellets, 7.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
Yeast : WYeast 1056 American Ale

OR do you have any suggestions on how to improve this recipe?

Thanks

sure, you oculd make that into whatever you'd like...add a small amount of crystal (1/2 lb), or chocolate malt (1/4 lb) or special b or caramunich, carapils for mouthfeel, whatever you'd like!

awesome thanks - I guess this is pretty much up to taste. I'm trying to keep it light.

Then add a light crystal, like 10L or 20L or something. You could either add a good bit instead of a pound of DME or just add a little in addition. It's hard to replace the LME unless you decide just to dump some of the can.

awesome thanks - I guess this is pretty much up to taste. I'm trying to keep it light.

You don't have to use both LME and DME, you really just need one or the other. I forgot the formula to convert the amounts though, maybe someone would be nice enought to post it?

You could add some dry or flaked wheat for head/mouthfeel. Since you are trying to do a caramel ale, a darker crystal (60L+), caramunich, caraaroma or special B would all be good.

It's roughly 4 parts DME = 5 parts LME due to the liquid in the LME. But if you want to use all DME, you'll pay extra, and if you want to use all LME, you may have to change the OG. It may be hard to use 2.4 lbs. LME without wasting. DME is nice if for no other reason than it's sold in smaller doses.

Back