LME Expiration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillPall

Reaction score
I searched the forums and didn't come up with anything, so here goes:

I've got about 3lbs of LME left over from what I used about 2 months ago in a recipe. It's been stored in a plastic container (read: milk jug, it's not from a can), so how long could I expect it to be good for? Is it okay to use it now? If so, how long will it last and still be "good"?

I recently brewed a batch/kit that I had from 2 years ago... The result was a very toffee/caramel taste.

Low OG, High FG, But my friends drank all 5 gallons and even said they liked it... I didn't touch it. LOL you should be more then fine.

Just wondering, had you already opened your LME? I would think that leaving it unopened would give it a much better "self-life." Unfortunately, mine has been opened. I used about half of a 6lb bottle of LME.

Otherwise, thanks, that makes me feel a lot better.

I did not open it, but it was not canned either it was in a plastic bag, the way www.williamsbrewing.com packages. But don't forget it was 2 years old.... Your only looking at 2 months.

I am not saying it will be perfect, but it will not be horrible.

I searched the forums and didn't come up with anything, so here goes:

I've got about 3lbs of LME left over from what I used about 2 months ago in a recipe. It's been stored in a plastic container (read: milk jug, it's not from a can), so how long could I expect it to be good for? Is it okay to use it now? If so, how long will it last and still be "good"?

I think it is still good after 2 months...
you really think that when you go to your brewshop you alwais find fresh LME?

I think it is still good after 2 months...
you really think that when you go to your brewshop you alwais find fresh LME?

Well, that's the thing. My brewshop = AustinHomeBrew.com. I know that they ship the freshest stuff, but I just wanted to make sure it was in the optimal condition. I'll brew something inexpensive this time and see if the extract has any influence on the flavor. Thanks again for the replies.

Hi,
2 months is fine. The problem with dry extract in a plastic bag is that the bags are permeable and the malt with eventually oxidize. Heat accelerates this, of course, as does opening it which exposes it to both air and moisture.

I would be reluctant to use anything over a year old unless it was stored in a barrier bag and then put in a freezer. You do have to watch some LHBS that do not move much product as they can sometimes have very old stock.

Cheers,
Brad

Back