Looking for Cider recipe ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habanero

Reaction score
I have two 1-gallon jugs of "all natural" apple juice (no preservatives). I bought a gallon last year, fermented it with some champagne yeast, and was moderately pleased with it. It was drier than I'd like, so I'm looking to do something with ale yeast this year. Since I have two jugs, I'm open to two independent batches.

I'd like one of them to be "spiced," and that's what I'm coming to this group for. I've read references to using cloves, nutmeg, allspice, etc. but I haven't found amounts. Does anyone have a specific recipe to try? Do the spices go into primary, or should I wait until secondary?

What yeast works well? I'd prefer using dry yeast to keep the cost down, although I probably have some White Labs 001 onhand harvested from a pale ale. Nottingham? Lalvin 71b-22? Something else?

I appreciate any suggestions!

I'm lazy and used one heaping tablespoonful of pumpkin pie spice and one of cinnamon. PP spice has nutmeg, cloves, allspice and cinnamon in it, so I've loaded the cinnamon. This was for five gallons, in the primary.

I may add a couple pounds of brown sugar, depends on how the first ferment goes.

Nottingham.

habanero said:
I have two 1-gallon jugs of "all natural" apple juice (no preservatives). I bought a gallon last year, fermented it with some champagne yeast, and was moderately pleased with it. It was drier than I'd like, so I'm looking to do something with ale yeast this year. Since I have two jugs, I'm open to two independent batches.

I'd like one of them to be "spiced," and that's what I'm coming to this group for. I've read references to using cloves, nutmeg, allspice, etc. but I haven't found amounts. Does anyone have a specific recipe to try? Do the spices go into primary, or should I wait until secondary?

What yeast works well? I'd prefer using dry yeast to keep the cost down, although I probably have some White Labs 001 onhand harvested from a pale ale. Nottingham? Lalvin 71b-22? Something else?

I appreciate any suggestions!

Ive used about for a 5 gallon batch
3 or 4 cinnamon sticks
6 to 10 whole cloves
1 to 2 tablespoons of orange zest.

boil the cloves and cinnamon for 60 minutes
Put the orange zest in the secondary for a week to two weeks. taste along the way, when you like it bottle.
As for the yeast, you could use kolsch, weihenstephan wheat, trappist ale or whatever will bring out the spicyness in the cloves etc.....

I prefer to make naturally bottle carbonated cider by adding a bit of juice to the cider when bottling, and I usually use Safale S-04 dry ale yeast. It makes a solid sediment with low esters and a bit of sweetness, although if used to make a dry cider, it can turn out a little more bland than with other yeasts.

Currently, in one of my carboys, I am testing Safbrew T-58, also a dry ale yeast. It is supposed to be quite a lot like the S-04, but with some spiceyness and esters. It doesn't seem to be clearing nearly as fast as the S-04, though.

Good luck to you.
-NL

Back