Best bulk grain to get

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm considering going all grain soon, buying a bigger kettle and a chiller anyway, and from there I can make a 5 gal mash tun for 30 bucks or so. My LHBS only sells grain in 1lb bags, which are like 1.89, which doesn't seem like its going to end up much cheaper than extract (not really going into this for the cost savings, just happens to be a nice side effect of AG). I'd like to buy a couple 50lb bags when I get out of town to Midwest Supplies, and I'm wondering what I should stock up on that I'll use the most of. I like wheat beers the most, and APAs and IPAs as well, will probably be trying some stouts soon too. Was thinking a 50lb of 2 row for sure, since I'm guessing thats most common, but would like some other input too.

Also, if I keep uncrushed grains in a rubbermaid tub, how long will it last?

I would suggest maris otter over 2 row. I just got results back from a competition i entered. The judge specifically said the malt aroma was there, but the malt flavor was not. He also said he would guess that 2 row was used and suggested substituting maris otter for 2 row. he was right, my recipe used just 2 row for the pale malt. Ive read several other people on here that have made the substitution as well. I have about 1/4 a bag left of 2 row and will be getting maris otter next. Just my 2 cents. There are plenty of people on here that make award winning beers with 2 row, but since i was nailed on it i figure i will switch.

Pale malt is all i buy in bulk, mainly because i use it much quicker than anything else. If i were to buy another malt in bulk, it would probably be cara-pils, munich, vienna, or victory. I havent brewed many wheats, so ill let someone else comment on what they use the most.

I keep my malt in 5 gallon homer buckets, and have used it up to 5 months after opening the bag. Specialty grain ive kept rubbermaid totes, individually bagged, for about 6 months. I am not sure at the overall lifetime.

Back