PBW for toddler sippy cups?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I was going to try using PBW to better clean my daughters sippy cups because they have a tendency to have small amounts of mold growth around the little gasket seal that keeps them from drinking too much. This brand, I think it's gerber, the valve won't come out so you're stuck trying to clean it with a bottle brush, but I thought a little soak in some PBW might help since it's works well on organic material. Any experience with this or other brewing cleaner for bottles?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RFAAEO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GCL5NI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Should work.

I used to sanitize the nipples with StarSan before we got a steam sanitizing dishwasher.

Wife always complained that it burned her boobs.

well i've used it on beer bottles .... never a baby bottle. how do you normally clean your daughter's cup? it sounds like you need to be more rigorous with that than you are now. as far as using PBW it can't be more dangerous than any other dishwasher soap.

pbw is percarbonates and TSP. Both are commonly used in dish detergents. TSP is a common food additive... yes the stuff you prepare walls with for paint is used in food. percarbonates break down into hydrogen peroxide.

As long as you rinse well you should be o-k.

any good detergent will work given enough time and temp. My daughter is a little say over the top with sanitization she uses those Gerber tippy cups too. Dishwasher then she takes then all and sticks them in a big glass bowl then nukes them till the water is just about boiling. Yup those things are sanitized

Then he goes out and puts rocks, sticks, dirt and other kids toys in his mouth:drunk:

If you listen to some of the podcast with Charlie Talley (head of 5 Star) he says he uses PBW at home a lot (just don't use on Teflon). We have a 9x12in glass baking dish that I used to roast some potatoes once, got all black and nasty. Soaked it in hot water and some PBW overnight and it came of with a simple rinse.

I like to dump some Oxiclean in the toilet when I am in the bathroom clenaing kegs, I get to claim I cleaned the toilet. Easy.

Do it.

It's funny only in this nation are we so concerned about keeping children so safe that we have to sterilize their bottles... most nations couldn't define sanitation if you spelled it for them but they continue to out-produce us. I am pretty sure you are fine with just normal cleaning procedures.

Back