New gas-fired HERMS controller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrcrilly

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know the forum heading states that is for electric systems, but I don't see anywhere else that my build fits better, so here goes. If the mods have trouble with it, I'll do whatever they suggest.

I did a test brew using one of the burners and a Honeywell valve with a simple (and inexpensive) Inkbird thermostat controller. The HERMS worked just as desired so now it's time to rig all three burners and integrate the controls into a single panel. It's going to look something like this (case is about 11" X 8" X 6").

layout test.jpg

...the mash burner and HLT control of HLT burner are only intended to be used while preheating strike and HEX water. I don't plan to direct-fire the MLT when there is wort in there.

...though I probably could if I'm careful; MLT is a kettle with triclad bottom and I'll mount that burner down one notch from the others...

It's going to look something like this (case is about 11" X 8" X 6").

Looks like it'll be a tight fit in that enclosure.

Can't wait to see it in action, I wish I had the stones to run a gas fired system--but I lost a house to fire a couple of years ago so I am a bit gun-shy. So do yourself a favor and be very careful with it, the combination of stingy insurance adjusters and stingy lien-holders is a year-long royal pain in the ass. (TLDR: Buy a fire extinguisher.)

The box will be mostly empty. With gas, there are no SSRs, heat sinks, contactors, or circuit breakers. The only item to be mounted inside is the small 24VAC transformer to run the solenoids.

I run a kitchen stove, a water heater, and two furnaces from gas now so this won't be a significant addition. It will be connected to the gas lines only when brewing, anyway.

I agree that the enclosure looks very tight and won't be fun to wire. Not to say impossible though, as I'm one who likes cramming more into smaller spaces and have built a few control panels at this point.

Also, don't fear direct firing the mash. That's how a lot of typical RIMS setups work.
I've direct fired mine for years and never had any issues. I've also made plenty of award winning beers doing so.

Things are running a little behind schedule. The brewstand has still not arrived. I did finish building the control panel today (lettering hasn't yet arrived). I swapped some illuminated rocker dwitches into the pump switch positions, added a third pump switch, and changed the chiller temp display to a matching PID just for cosmetics.

panel1.JPG

panel2.JPG

do you have a wiring diagram? or pictures inside? I am building essentially the same thing but am so hung up on whether to go BCS or Auber... I get the BCS can automate more but with more comes.. well... more $$. I'm already behind.. Anyway, this looks like a great build. please update whenever you can. Thanks!

I am building a gas fired herms as well over the holidays and I think I'm using that same NEMA box. Is this the one you are using? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T990I0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm only controlling one burner with one PID though but I'm going to have a timer and an alarm on my box.

Yours looks nice so far. Are you planning on adding labels, if so how?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is the box I used. The front panel is plenty large enough, but the bottom got a little busy with all of the connectors. I admit that four sensors, three spolenoid outputs, and three pump outputs are excessive; the bottom would be much less crowded with a more conservative setup.

I had dry transfer labels made by brewhardware.com for about $8 plus a few dollars shipping.

I have completed the wiring and will grab some snapshots of the inside once I have the wires properly tied down. It is far from crowded in there. I'll draw a schematic soon, too.

panelcomplete.jpg

I hope that everyone else who builds any kind of a controller does a nicer job of cutting holes and applying labels. I would have myself, 30 or 40 years ago. 50 years ago, I would have done a job similar to this one.

My goal was just temperature control with some extra flexibility and a place to put pump switches. I'm hoping that I won't eventually regret not using a smart controller like a BCS for greater automation.

Here is that busy bottom panel:

panelandconnections.jpg

Back