Downsizing My Brew Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BtotheG

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm moving this weekend and it has really opened my eyes to the amount of brewing junk I have. It's too late for this move (which is going to be rough), but I'd like to take some measures to descrease my brewing footprint.

I'm wondering if it's possible to make a two vessel BIAB system in the following manner using a lot of equipment I already have:

* Keggle with a big mesh bag
* 5 gallon cooler heat exchanger with a 1/2" copper HERMS coil/Immersion chiller and a 1500w 120v immersion heater/PID combo.
* Pump
* Burner

I already have keggles, coolers, burners, and immersion heater/PID combo, so my only investment for this would be the bag, pump, 1/2" copper immersion chiller, and necessary connections/tubing.

I'd like to use a burner for strike water and the boil, but then recirculate through the heat exchanger to maintain mash temps and possibly raise the temp to 168 for when I remove the grain bag, but I guess I could just turn on the burner too.

A few questions for all you knowledgeable experts out there:

* Is the heater I have powerful enough to maintain mash temps? I know it can maintain the temp of the volume of water in the exchanger. I'm guessing it probably won't be able to step mash.

* How long do you need to recirculate before the mash reaches the heat exchanger water temp?

* How fast can you recirculate the mash? ie. are stuck sparges a problem? I assume you'd want to go kind of slow to maxmize the heat exchange.

* Does it matter how you return the recirculated wort to the mash?

Thanks in advance everyone!!

You know, I've seen that post a few times but never really read through it. It's a very sweet setup, but I think I've always been concerned about not being able to brew 5 gallons. However, the idea of brewing inside during this heatwave sounds pretty nice. Thanks for the link

Back