Lager Temp Issues??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Well I had planned on doing some brewing out of town and I forgot some basic equipment and now I'm curious as to how it has affected my brew. I'm a first time lager brewer. First off I forgot my thermometer and hydrometer, next time make a checklist. Basically I think I pitched my yeast a little warm (maybe high 70's or low 80') and then the room i stored it in was about 69 for about 12 hours. I then put it in my car and drove home, by this time fermentation was already going good (the nut brown ale i did with it was actually spitting up in the car). I placed it in my back porch to cool down for 4 hours (porch was in the 40's), I then transported to my garage where the temperature runs from mid 40's to mid 50's at this time of year. So this morning there was a huuuge drop in temperature (down to singel digits). The brew had already started a good fermentation, but I don't know what affect all the temperature changes will have, if any. Will it be the difference between a really good beer and an ok beer, or have I pretty much guaranteeed some banana and diacetyl flavors?

Well, lager yeast don't like rapid temperature changes, they throw lots of esters then. Your beer will not be clear, it will be more ale-like, fruity.
Don't forget to make diacetyl rest.

so after the first 2 days of temperature changes, I've finally got it at mid 50's with a wet towel wrapped around it. Airlock is bubbling nicely, so I guess I'll just have to wait a week or so before I do a diacetyl rest in the high 60's for 24-48 hours. Then on to the cold crash.

Back