Garage Ventilation System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I just moved into my new house and the garage will be the brewery. It is seperate from the house and only has the garage door as an entry. The temperature can get a little warm, since the south wall faces the sun all day. The north wall is definately the coolest side, especially near the floor. That wall also has two vent holes, approx 16x6 inches about a foot off the floor equally spaced.

My idea is to rig up a couple computer fans and some dryer vent tubing to constantly keep cooler air flowing in the garage over the beer equipment and possibly more fans on the south wall blowing out.
1. Does this sound like a good idea?
2. How do I wire up the fans for 110AC?

Well I am not an electrician, but I used to be in computers (thank you 9/11 for the career change). Computer fans are not directly connected to 110. They are typically connected to the power supply which drops it from 110 considerably.

Do you know what the temp is going to typically be? You could do something like what Desertbrew does.

It would be cheaper and probably better to just buy some desk fans (6" - 9") they are already at 115v and will move significantly more air than computer fans designed to move it in a 3'-4' closed cubic foot area.

Computer fans are in the 100 cfm range (a small garage runs 4000 cf), typically run on 12 v DC and don't have much ability to push air through tubes.

You might take a look at evaporative coolers. Some Lowes carry them. A freestanding unit can be set to blow on your setup while standing near the door. if you plan on being the the house a long time, get a permanent unit or a small AC & insulate the garage.

I was reading past articles at the BYO website and came across this one. I did not read the entire article but thought you might want to know it was there. It is about having a brewry in a garage.

http://***********/feature/433.html

Maybe I'll go with my initial idea of getting those small in-window fans. They're more powerful, are almost the right size, and they already run off the right power source. Two of those should be just fine then. I'll rig up something and post some pics.

If the inside of your garage is unfinished you may want to look at a attic gable vent fan, from Lowes or HD. It would move plenty of air and all you would need to do is wire it to a switch or put a pigtale on it and plug it into a wall.

You know I dont know how far you want to go with this, but I saw this real cool book yesterday at Borders on making Wine Cellars. You could section off part of it for a more consistant temperature control. It looked real easy in the book.

Back