bleeding off a naturally carbed keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a keg that I naturally carbed and want to put it on gas. Do I need to bleed off the CO2 in the keg before connecting it?

I just naturally carb'd my first keg and didn't think much about it. I thought I'd check the carbonation before chilling. Got a bunch of foam and thought I should release the pressure. Now it's undercarb'd and I ended up force carbing some to get it back to proper levels.

What I should have done instead was put it in the fridge for a few days to let the CO2 absorb into the beer better, then check the carb level and adjust if necessary. Live and learn I guess.

I just naturally carb'd my first keg and didn't think much about it. I thought I'd check the carbonation before chilling. Got a bunch of foam and thought I should release the pressure. Now it's undercarb'd and I ended up force carbing some to get it back to proper levels.

What I should have done instead was put it in the fridge for a few days to let the CO2 absorb into the beer better, then check the carb level and adjust if necessary. Live and learn I guess.

yep, Just like any bottle! :)

I tried it tonight and I did bleed it off, although there was not too much CO2 head space. I thought there would be much more

I have a 25l stout naturally carbed with white sugar, 2 wks and maybe 5l tone(slow week mate-wise) but I still haven't pumped it...
My 50l keg is 6 wks old, has a real ale in it but still taste ok. Flat like an ale, but just the way my british neighbour likes it!

Latest posts

Back