It has been 7 days and no bubbles! Help???? Is it Bad??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas5451

Reaction score
It has been 7 days since me and my partner started fermentation and no bubbles!! Does this mean the beer is no good anymore or any suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks!

Take a gravity reading and compare it to your original gravity. If it is lower than the original, fermentation happened.

Also, maybe say more about your process.

Sometimes you get very little krausen on top of the fermenting beer,& not enough co2 build up to make the airlock bubble. I agree to use your hydrometer. It's the only way to know for sure.

We used all grain, cooked it, added hops like normal, put in 5 gallone bucket and cooled, added yeast and sealed! So the reading should be lower that the orginal? Then what? Just let it go like normal? If not is there something else we can do? Thanks fellas!

What yeast did you use? And what temperature when you pitched it?

I hate to break it to you but if it has been 7 days and the yeast hadn't taken hold at all, the odds of the wort being contaminated by other bacterias is almost 100%. Even if their are only residual microbes of bacteria in the wort, the yeast would normally take hold of the wort before anything else does. The byproduct of co2 and alcohol would normally ward off any other possible contaminates.

I would guess after 7 days just sitting it would have quite a funky smell and look.

Not to say it isn't possible that some fermentation happened or that miraculously 5 gallons of sugar brine (basically a big petri dish) is still viable.

Take some pics if you can and post them up. Maybe it is not too late..

Bubbles don't mean fermentation. the only sure fire way to say no fermentation has occurred is to take a gravity reading.

Inb4 revvy rant.

Can we introduce fresh yeast at this point?

if you take a gravity reading and it hasnt changed since you took one the first time we will grant you permission to pitch more yeast....

If the gravity is exactly the same, then you can.

I have made a lager before that took 6 days to ferment after I repitched (so with the combination of the yeast).

So as Yooper is saying here, your yeast may just be slowly revitalizing and working slowly (it sort of seems to grow exponentially). If your gravity hasnt changed at all your yeast was probably no good and you would definately want to repitch.

The only way to know anything about fermentation is gravity. There's an outside shot you just missed it fermenting and its already settling, open it up take a gravity reading

Back