Opinions of AHS Plastic Carboy (Similar to Better Bottle)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
I have a free shipping coupon from my AHS membership and am picking up some grain and other misc items. I'm in need of another 6 gallon carboy and was going to pick up a Better Bottle, until I noticed that they don't carry any non-porter 6 gal better bottles. Instead, they have this one. Just wondering if anyone has used this fermenter before? If so, what are your opinions? I kinda like that it already has the graduation markings for 3, 5, and 6 gallons on it.

Looks exactly the same as a better bottle with volume markings on it, comparably priced.

Personally, I prefer the white plastic buckets for primary fermenters, as they are easier to clean (Krauzen can be a pain to clean off the sides of a fermenter). I use carboys and better bottles for Apfelwein, Meade and Secondary.

Aah, there is a big difference i see now.... these are rib-less, where the Better bottle is ribbed. I can see that making a difference in ease of cleaning.

I do believe that the ribs do add some structural integrity, so that is a trade off.. I would suspect that Austin Homebrew wouldn't sell these if that was a problem though.

I've got 6 gallons of wine in one right now and it didn't seem any less stable moving it than my BB. One thing to note is I think these are extra big. I didn't do any measurements yet but my 6 gallon wine kit did not come close to filling it to the top.

also if you live near a winery, they sell glass carboys cheap. I get 6.5gal glass carboys for 30 bucks after tax. I know some prefer plastic but then again some do not...I think it's worth a look

I did a hefeweizen in it a few weeks ago. The universal style drilled bung I got goes in pretty deep to seal, but other than that I had no issues. The massive kreusen rinsed right out with a brief warm water soak.

Latest posts

Back