Keg cleaning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwhc22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i just cleaned my kegs for the first time after i got them. my first kegs ever actually. i used PBW as a recommendation from my LHBS. but even after rinsing 4 times and then sanitizing it still smells like the cleaner stuff that pepsi used to clean them before they sold them to a company that in-turn sold them to me.

is this ok? or normal. its not a strong smell but i can still tell its there. im just worried that it may create off flavors or even be bad to drink something out of if it still smeall of cleaning agent.

any advice would be helpful. :mug:

how hot is hot? i measured it with a thermometer... and it was like 140-150... it was steaming hot and i couldn't touch it with my hands without burning myself. the directions said 100-160 is proper temp. should i rinse with hotter than that?

Also, remember to rinse the out by running water through the tap or else some of your cleaning product will stay in there.

Have you replaced all the seals/gaskets? Old gaskets can retain smells of contents past....

Have you replaced all the seals/gaskets? Old gaskets can retain smells of contents past....

yep...it just smells inside... dunno how many people remember... but when i opened my kegs for the first time they already had been cleaned at the pepsi plant. so thats where the smell came from...whatever the cleaning agent they used at the plant. all the ones from the CHI company are cleaned that way. the PBW has almost no smell at all IMO.

Latest posts

Back