Airlock still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakadaka

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat and after 10 days the airlock was still bubbling. The gravity for 4 days straight was stable at 1.010. I searched around to see why it would still be bubbling, and I think it was due to changes in the air pressure. It had been very cold and then we had a warm streak for a couple of days. I am still curious if that could cause it to bubble very consistently every 5-10 seconds for so many days though? The stable gravity made me think it was done, but it was still bubbling a lot and a ton of krausen still on top.

Also, if my OG is low should my FG be proportionately low? I over diluted this batch past 5 gallons on accident. My FG was lower than the one on the recipe, but not quite as much lower as my OG was.

And one more question: About how many gravity points would a beer have to drop to cause bottle bombs?

The temp change would do it. It's probably just CO2 coming out of solution now that it's warmer. As long as your gravity is stable on a what, you're good to bottle.

If your OG is low, then your FG will be lower, yes. It wouldn't be the same number of points though (say, if your OG was 5 points higher, your FG probably won't be 5 points higher as well). There's a lot of factors that play into that, but do some reading on "attenuation".

Not sure on the bottle bombs since I've never had one, but if you're at 1.010 with this beer I'd say that there's a 0% chance you'll get a bottle bomb unless you add an exorbitant amount of priming sugar.

Thanks for the response.

I just can't wrap my mind around how a change in weather could make my air lock bubble that vigorously for that long. Makes me think if the weather changes again every beer in my living room is going to explode. Everything has read has told me that its just offgassing or whatever they call it so i trust that.

I figured there was more to do with gravity readings then just the volume, but I am glad to hear that it won't be directly proportional.

And even better that at 1.010 I have very little chance of bottle bombs. I am curious if anybody has the exact numbers on how much of a drop will cause bombs? Seems like you could figure out how much CO2 was released per point and the pressure that a bottle can hold and come up with a pretty concrete answer for certain temps and pressures but I don't know how to do it

Back