is 5 days in the fridge at 35 - 40F too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLoBaLReBeL

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My brew (Cream Ale from NB) just hit the 2 week fermentation and I noticed it was VERY cloudy so i did the knox gelatin thing . . . I have it in my refrigerator right now at around 36 - 40F and Its been in there since sat evening. I am going on a trip and won't be back until Friday night. Should I pull the carboy out right now, or will it be ok to let sit till Friday, and then Sat bottle? I'm going to be bottling it, not kegging it.

I'm just afraid that the yeast will get too cold? I know they will just go dormant . . and it will end up taking longer for the beer to carbonate because of the long cold conditioning. I just don't want anything to go bad with the beer . . .

It'll be fine. The yeast will sleep, but when you bottle and condition at about 65 deg for a few weeks, they will wake back up.

Yeast will go dormant and they'll wake back up when you store the bottles at conditioning temps.

Since you don't have pressure on the carboy there really isn't any need to be concerned about CO2 absorption. If there is any, it's going to be minimal.

Back