Isinglass. Can someone break it down for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danweasel

Reaction score
I have some Isinglass. Can someone who uses it give me the down and dirty on how to best utilize it. I read what I could find about this wonderful sounding fish byproduct but I still don't feel like I know exactly how to use it.

Any help would be appreciated. 3rd post in a row! Yeah it is a slow day at work.

Never used it but have heard it's a PITA. A pack of unflavored gelatin from the supermarket is cheap, easy and effective.

I've used isinglass in wine, but never in beer. I assume it'll work just fine, but I wouldn't add anything unless it was necessary. All of my beers eventually clear on their own, so I've never used finings in my beer except for Whirlfloc in the kettle.

OK, sounds good.

The problem is not really a clarity issue but more of a clean tasting issue. Oh, and would whirlfloc or irish moss be worth a use in my extract brews?

Is it still the preferred method to make a gelatin mix and then rack on top of it in the bottling bucket? And do I do this at the same time as I add the priming sugar?

You want to do the gelatin earlier and let it settle out before you bottle. That way you don't get a layer of yeast jello in the bottom of your bottles. The whole point is to clear it up before you bottle.

Latest posts

Back