So I bottled on the 16th and cracked one open tonight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimster

Reaction score
Relax, not to drink (though I did take a drink, it's still obviously young) but for this:

DSCF7011.sized.jpg

Kroger had whole ribeyes for $4.99 (what happened to $2.99 dang!) so I had my wife grab a 19 pounder and had her have them slice it up but also to leave me one nice 4 pounder to smoke in my UDS. Saturday is supposed to be warm and pretty, perfect day to smoke a big piece of meat I'd say.

Yeah marinading with the homebrew :)

man...I miss meat, and grilling, and warm weather. Very jealous. I blame a apartment, a girl who doesn't eat beef, and 2-4 months of cold weather.

man...I miss meat, and grilling, and warm weather. Very jealous. I blame a apartment, a girl who doesn't eat beef, and 2-4 months of cold weather.

Does she eat other meat? (Not like that!)

Pork? Chicken? Does she worship cows?

Oh I meant to post some pics of my UDS build up some of you might not know about the gloriousness that is a UDS (ugly drum smoker).

Get a food grade drum, and burn out the lining:

DSCF6274.sized.jpg

I bought a 2x2 "grill screen" at Lowes, took my tin snips and cut it into 8" wide strips, then tack welded it into a long nearly 6 foot long strip bent it around a 5 gallon bucket, zip tied it to a 14" Weber charcoal layer replacement screen (from Lowes) and then welded it up and removed zip ties as they were replaced with tack welds:

DSCF6323.sized.jpg

DSCF6330.sized.jpg

DSCF6332.sized.jpg

Here I threw up the charcoal basket as high as I could then tried to film it taking a nice bounce but holding together! My welding skills are "rough" at best but I'm not doing body work, I'm tack welding an ugly drum smoker charcoal basket, ugly is good!

DSCF6335.sized.jpg

Get some SS hardware, I have a Lowe's nearby, the temp gauge was $8 the other stainless hardware is some wing nuts, and I got 1.5 or 2" long screws and I splurged and got capped nuts for the outside instead of just plain nuts, drill 3 holes evenly spaced about 2 inches from the top (I screwed this part up) and another 9 inches or so from the top (3 not 4 else it'll wobble).

For intake holes I drilled 2 1" holes with a hole saw bit for my drill on each side of the drum maybe an inch from the bottom, if I need less flow I throw a flat magnet over them, our fridge is COVERED in the damned things from insurance companies, restaurants, and credit card offers, I just steal them off the fridge as I need them, they only last for a couple sessions each. To control outflow I just put the screw in caps from the lid into the lid to cover up the holes, I also drilled some 1/2" holes on top with a pattern just large enough I can cover them with a 14" lid from the kitchen. To remove the lid I have a welding magnet I keep on the table next to it since I haven't bothered putting a handle on the lid yet.

Put a wingnut on the screw BACKWARDS and stick the screw from inside of drum to outside, put on the cap nut and tighten it down, then tighen the wing nut from the other side. This is what your grill racks sit on:

DSCF6329.sized.jpg

You'll notice my screws aren't 2" and 9" they're 9" and 18" I screwed up basically, you'll never ever want to use that bottom rack in my UDS one day I'll fix it and move those bottom screws to the 2 or 3" mark from the top:

DSCF6007.sized.jpg

2 replacement 18" (or was it 19" it's the standard size, one of tehse is a wal-mart special the other is from Lowe's and is a Weber and MUCH sturdier, and $1 cheaper, go figure put your basket in the bottom fill with CLEAN wood (no treated lumber, nothing painted, etc) or charcoal, light it up, put in your grill and burn the living snot out of it one more time to really make sure it's all clean of any chemicals/coatings/oils/etc:

DSCF6005.sized.jpg

DSCF6003.sized.jpg

Now clean out the ashes, put some good charcoal or wood in, let it settle into a nice batch of glowing coals, put in some meat, put on the lid and wait for good things to happen:

DSCF6009.sized.jpg

if only I could weld....and find a big ass food grade drum.

I got 2 of them off Ebay for right at $110 shipping and all, I looked around locally for a while and had no luck too :(

As for the welding, head to harborfreight, get a cheap gasless 100V mig welder (about $100) and a mask and some cheap welding gloves (about $30 and $5 at HF) and just, do it, get some scrap metal and just go to town.

looking good, I'll probably fire up the smoker this weekend for some chicken and pulled pork

Back