Killing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have read about people using campden and sulfites to stop fermentation by halting yeast reproduction but I have also read about many people who still cannot stop further fermentation. I am currently brewing 5 gallons of mead and 1 gallon of blackberry wine in 1 gallon carboys and I would like to backsweeten them without the risk of further fermentation.

Is it possible to heat the wines to pasteurize them. Specifically I am thinking of double boiling them above 150F.

Is there anything I need to worry about doing this?

Are there any potential issues I am not contemplating.

Will this cause any off flavors?

Is there a certain amount of time it should age in the carboy before I do this?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks alot.

Campden does not stop fermentation, even though a lot of people seem to think that it does. If you want to stabilize to backsweeten, what you really need is potassium sorbate. However, you do want to add campden BEFORE you add the k-sorbate (there's a specific reason that I tried to remember in a previous thread but I can't remember.. I need to look it up again). When I'm stabilizing meads or wines, this is the way I do it:

1) Rack off of the lees (although I have successfully stabilized while still on the yeast.. it's probably a better idea to rack off of it)
2) Add crushed campden tablets or the powdered form at the amount of 1 tablet/gallon (the campden also helps preserve the wine/mead longterm)
3) Wait 48 hours, then add the appropriate amount of potassium sorbate
4) Wait an additional day or two, backsweeten, then wait a day or two before bottling

I've never had problems with a fermentation restarting while doing it this way. Potassium sorbate is your key player here, and really does stabilize very well.

I really don't think I would recommend pasteurization to stop the fermentation, though I guess it COULD work. I prefer to not heat up my meads at any point, though. Someone else would probably be able to tell you if you can do it that way.

I guess I'm not sure what heating will do to your mead, but won't it possibly set the pectin?

Back