Where do you get your grain (online)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugu

Reaction score
Currently I'm planning to go from extract 5 gallon to 3 gallon Brew In A Bag batches. 3 reasons - Savings of AG + the fact that I don't drink a whole lot + I like making the beer possibly more than drinking it (and I do enjoy that, in moderation). (plus at least this way I can build up to 5g+ batches later if I want to)

Anyways, I've been looking for well priced (2-row) grain. Best I've found is Morebeer's 50 pound bags for 32$ -- however after shipping to Nebraska it costs 68 or 70$. Combine this with the fact that I can buy 50 ONE lb bags from morebeer and get free shipping = 62$.

The LHBS sells 50 lbs for 61$ + tax and most places I've found online sell for ~70-80 after shipping.

Anyone have any tips on a place I can get 1-4 bags at a price much lower? (pickup from adjoining states being possible) As far as bulk buy chances they're slim. There is a Homebrew club in a nearby city but A) I'm not very social and B) I work nights and have weekdays off (so I can't be social if I wanted to). So in general I don't have people to do that with.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I order most of my grain from Austinhomebrew.com. 50#s of 2-row is $60, and shipping is $7.99. Last time I bought 50#s of 2-row, 40#s of Vienna malt ($63), 40#s of Munich malt ($63), and 20#s of pilsner malt ($40) for a total of $235. So, I got 150 pounds of malt delivered to my door for $235. Not cheap, but not bad at all!

Where in Nebr are you? I picked up 50 lb bags of 2-row in Omaha last week for $37.50 (and they had a stack of it).

It's called Cornhusker Beverage & Bridal, 8510 K Street (I-80 to 84th, south to K, west a block). Strange place... Mostly a liquor store and I didn't see much for bridal stuff. The Homebrew is in a side room. Decent selection, including the $37.50 two-row. There's another HBS about a block away, so you can shop 'em both.

Thanks, I'll have to try and make it out there soon. Maybe my next weekend (or a paycheck or two) I can head up there. Who knows, maybe I'll luck out and find a Barley Crusher (or similar) for less than I can find online (130$ w/ shipping).

You can order as much grain as you want from me and it is shipped for $6.99. Not as cheap as picking it up locally for 37.50, but if you need more than 2-Row you can buy as much of any grain as you want, and shipping is still $6.99.

I buy my sack at my LHBS for 30-35 depending on the grain. If I didn;t have this option, I would use Austin home brew or brewmasters warehouse for the fixed shipping rates.

I buy my sack at my LHBS for 30-35 depending on the grain. If I didn;t have this option, I would use Austin home brew or brewmasters warehouse for the fixed shipping rates.

Depending on where you live, the fixed shipping might not save money. I live in southeast Missouri. For me, Midwest Supplies can get me 50 lbs of 2-row for less than Austin Homebrew or Brewmaster's Warehouse even with shipping. The difference isn't huge - between 5 and 10 dollars - but it's still less from Midwest. Actually, that's held true for everything I've ordered from Midwest. I pay actual shipping charges, but their prices are low enough that I still come out ahead.

I get mine from North Country Malt Supply. I recently ordered a sack of Thomas Fawcett Marris Otter and BestMalz Pilsen Malt that came to about $1.05/lb including shipping. Plus they include the lot specific malt analyses which was the deciding factor for me to order from there.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment... I drive about 110 miles (one way) to buy base malts from a distributor. I picked up 55# bags of Fawcett Maris Otter, Fawcett Golden Promise, and Dingemans Pilsen last week. Each bag was about $44 or so. I then drove 50 miles to pick up a bag of Weyermann light wheat.

At least hops are cheap to ship :mug:

Nobeer, William's. The last sack I got was from William's and it was Rair Two-Row. They both ship from near San Francisco. William's ships very fast and by fed-x. Nobeer has earned that name by not shipping very soon and by UPS (a great place to buy just buy weeks ahead.)

+1 to Brewmaster Warehouse if you are ordering crushed grains. My efficiency went from 73% to 85%. Extremely fast shipping as well. Have had my last two orders on my doorstep within 3 days.

Latest posts

Back