A little more alcohol please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
I made an American pale ale awhile back and it was tasty...
How do I bump the alcohol up 1% and keep the taste similar...thanks

5 gal total

6) lb pale ale extract

8oz crystal 40L
8oz crystal 10L

#1 Magnum (14.4%) 0.6oz 60 min
#2 Cascade 0.7oz 15 min
#3 Cascade 1.0oz 0 min

White labs WLP001 California ale

Either bump up all your ingredients slightly, maintaining the same grain proportions and Bitterness to Gravity ratio, or use something like Austin Homebrew's 1% alcohol boost, which I think is a blend of maltose and glucose that shouldn't affect the flavor too much.

get a program like beersmith and you cna alter ingredients and get a representation of the projected OG and FG which determines ABV. ABV is displayed as well. It also lists percentages, IBUs and what not to keep your recipe balanced as you up it.

For instance 6lbs DME in a 5G batch (I'm assuming gives you ~1043 OG or ~4.14%ABV, 7.5lbs DME gets you ~1054OG or ~5.19%abv. Then adjust your crystal malts along the same scale that the DME got raised.

The right way:
Scale up the whole recipe

Quick and dirty:
add 8oz each of corn sugar and light DME, and maybe add another .1oz of bittering hops (or half that if you can measure it).

Quicker and dirtier (but probably a bit worse for flavor):
Add a pound of corn sugar

thanks alot...I'm just trying to figure out a couple extract batches while I build my all grain set up...

Back