I think I racked too soon....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAShooter

Reaction score
After 2.5 weeks in the primary and consistant hydrometer readings I racked to a keg, dry hopped for a week and then put the CO2 on it.

I'm fearful that I racked too soon and that I'll have a bunch of sediment at the bottom for the keg making each pour cloudy for the life of the keg.

Hindsight - I guess I shoudl have left it in the primary longer to let it clear up but is there anything I can or should do at this point?

You will have sediment. Cold temperatures tend to make the sediment crash to the bottom, you'll probably have a few sedimenty glasses but it should clear up just fine.

On a side note, did you use leaf hops, pellet hops, were they contained in a bag or just thrown in there? Are they still in there?

2.5 weeks primary and 1 week dry hopping sounds like enough time for a beer to me, so RDWHAHB, i think you'll be fine

Worse comes to worst, you're just going to have to chew your first couple of sips. The goods news about home brewing is that 99% of what you're going to get in your first few pours is consumable, so you don't have to throw it out if you don't want to waste it!

My guess is you'll be fine and probably will have a lot less sediment than you think!

Cool - Thanks. My hope is that it will clear up soon. I was hopeful that I would not get the advice to rack to a bucket; clean the keg and then rack back to the keg. Not sure that the risk is worth the reward if I did that.

I used pellets but in a hop bag so hopefully I wont have to worry about clogging the dip tube.

Back