Hefeweizen or American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan1003

Reaction score
I made an all-grain brew the other day and the recipe claimed it to be American Wheat. My question is, given the grain bill below, would y'all consider this to be a hefeweizen and take it straight from primary to the bottling bucket or let it condition. To my understanding, you want to bottle and drink a Hefeweizen fast and you want to condition an American Wheat longer to clear it up. Is this correct? I took a hydrometer reading today and tasted the sample, and wow... it was amazing! Thanks for any help guys!

3 Gal Batch

Grain
3.25 # Wheat Malt, Germany
2.75 # Pale Malt, US
8 oz Munich Malt 10L
6 oz Crystal 20L

Hops
0.40 oz Centennial (60m)
0.13 oz Centennial (15m)
0.13 oz Amarillo Gold (15m)

Yeast
Safale US-05

America Wheat because of the yeast and the hops. All wheat beers are going to be somewhat hazy, I think, due to the wheat. You might want the yeast to fall out a bit more for an American, but I don't think that's a big deal.

The yeast and hops in your batch make it an american wheat.

Wheats don't need to clear up. The haze is part of their tastyness.

If the gravity doesn't change over a period of 3 days, and it's down ~ 1.008-1.012, I would feel comfortable bottling it at 10 days.

Looks pretty tasty BTW.

Back