Irish Red ale "grap-ee" smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zickefoose

Reaction score
I transfered my red ale into secondary today and after taking a reading I tasted it a little. It's amazing, exactly what I wanted out of it. The only thing is it has a strong grape-like scent to it. Im not worried about it, I'm just curious as to why.

Recipe:
7.5 lb Maris Otter
2 lb American 2Row
1 lb Crystal 40L
12oz Flaked Rye
8oz Crystal 120L
2oz Roasted Barley

Kent Golding Hops
WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

You could be picking up some phenolics form the yeast. Any idea what your fermentation temperatures were?

Also, C-120 is often described as having a burnt raisin flavor, but that probably isn't it.

how long was it in the primary for? I have had some real strong ester production from that yeast when I have fermented warm, mostly got cleaned up during the conditioning phase for me.

In fermentor for about a week. I had to wait for my other carboy to be empty. I'd say fermentation was about 67 - 70. Maybe a degree or so lower.

I would personally leave it in secondary at the same temp for at least a week to let it clean up. Then take a sample in a week and check the gravity, cool and taste. Hopefully the flavor has mellowed a little bit. If not wait another week.

I've got probably a month before my keg is empty and I hate bottling so its just gonna have to wait. :)

Back