Converting Extract Recipes to Partial/AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
Hey all - I'm worried this might be a really dumb question...but, I'm going to ask anyway. I'm comfortable with my noobness.

So I got the book Extreme Brewing by Sam Caliagione of Dogfish Head (some of my favorite brews) and I was very excited to try out some of his recipes, however they are all in extract. How would I go about converting it to a PM or AG recipe - I doubt it's a 1:1 type deal. Is it time to BeerSmith?

Thanks guys.

Hey all - I'm worried this might be a really dumb question...but, I'm going to ask anyway. I'm comfortable with my noobness.

So I got the book Extreme Brewing by Sam Caliagione of Dogfish Head (some of my favorite brews) and I was very excited to try out some of his recipes, however they are all in extract. How would I go about converting it to a PM or AG recipe - I doubt it's a 1:1 type deal. Is it time to BeerSmith?

Thanks guys.

A general rule of thumb is that 1 pound grain = .75 pound LME = .6 pound DME.

Beersmith really helps if you want to do this a lot. All you have to do is add in all the ingredients. I believe the 60 min is all base malt? That makes it really easy.

Just add the base malt, then adjust the quantity until estimated OG matches the OG in the recipe.

BeerSmith is also helpful in adjusting the hop additions to reach your target IBU when converting from partial boil to full boil. First enter the recipe as written, with the given boil volume, and note the IBUs. Then increase the volume to full boil and back off the bittering hops until your IBU level is correct.

Rock on thanks guys. I'll give BeerSmith and Beer Calculus a try.

One other thing to consider when you convert an extract recipe to all grain. If there are specialty grains or steeping grains - you may want to think about scaling back on them somewhat, because the flavor will be much more apparent when you mash them instead of just steep them for an extract batch. You don't really need as much.

Beersmith works on a Mac if you use Wine Helper. That lets you run (some) Windows programs on the Mac, but it's a bit more work than finding an actual Mac native program. I hear that they're working on putting out a Mac version in the future.

One other thing to consider when you convert an extract recipe to all grain. If there are specialty grains or steeping grains - you may want to think about scaling back on them somewhat, because the flavor will be much more apparent when you mash them instead of just steep them for an extract batch. You don't really need as much.

Ahh, thanks for mentioning that. It makes sense, but certainly not something i would have thought to do my first go round.

Quick question - for something like light dry malt extract, would i just be substituting 2 row?

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Back