Transporting kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
So Im at school for the a few more weeks, and I have tons of brew(well not tons, but 25 gallons) thats been in the fermenter 3-4 weeks minimum each. I dont feel like buying bottles, but instead was going to buy a few kegs and bottle as much as a I can. I will be home about 2 hours away from here for a month for winter break. If I fill the kegs and purge off the o2, could my kegs make the trip down with me and still be fine? Or is additional handling required? Can I lay them down in the car, I drive a hatchback so not a TON of room?

Pressurize them to 30PSI and they should be ok. Try and keep them at a constant temperature, and if possible, leave hooked up to CO2 at at least 10 PSI or blast every so often. 30PSI to give the lids a good seal, and keep hooked up or hit with CO2 because the beer will absorb the CO2. For over a month, if you do this during the car ride, you should be able to just let them sit age/condition while you're at home and repeat on the way back.

Back