dry hopping with leaf hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbkg

Reaction score
hello kind folk, ol' nut here from MI

my question is whens the ideal time to add the hops (1oz summet hops) prior to it being bottled? and should i put the leaf hops in a sock or will just throwing them in by themselfs be fine? (im worrying about them getting clogged in the siphon tube)

thanx guys!

Dry hop in the secondary about two weeks before you bottle. This will give the hops time to infuse into the beer. Some people use hop socks, and some like myself just throw them into the fermenter. Keep in mind two things:

1) If you a using a carboy as a secondary, getting the hop sock in might be easy, but once they swell up getting it out might not be.

2) If you put them into a small hop sock and they swell up, chances are the inner hops aren't making contact with the beer and you won't get as much aroma as throwing them in loose.

As far as clogging, just attach a strainer (paint strainers from Lowes/Home Depot are perfect, or a mesh grain bag will work) to the end of your siphon as a filter. This will prevent hops from get sucked up/stuck in the tube.

I think you could just use the hop sock as the strainer on your siphon to keep the loose hops out.

real dumb question. which end of the syphon do you suggest using the hop sock as a strainer. The racking cane end or the bottling wand end?:drunk:

Back