Holy crap!!! Will it ever stop raining!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigHefty

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sigh... I have a bunch of rhizomes I want to plant and I can't because of all the rain over the past few weeks. At this rate it will be June before I get them in the ground. Oh well.... certainly wasn't expecting anything from them this year anyway.

Bring on the sun!!!

LOL... I was complaining to my wife last night that this non-stop rain is getting annoying! At least saturday is supposed to be nice.

Get wet and go put them in the ground. The soaking conditions really give the few roots they have a head start, and once they do spring up they will rocket towards the sky. At least that's what mine have done the days we have had a couple hours of sunshine between the storms.

godsstep, you can take the rain.. sick of it.. since march we have had about 6 days with out rain here... last month was record amount, now all it does it rain every day... teh bugs are going to be really bad this year.

i finally put mine in the ground yesterday between rain storms, from the pots they were in.

Get wet and go put them in the ground. The soaking conditions really give the few roots they have a head start, and once they do spring up they will rocket towards the sky. At least that's what mine have done the days we have had a couple hours of sunshine between the storms.

Man, I'd love to but the area I'm going to plant them in has a bunch of brush left over from a pine tree that I cut down. My hope is to have the area cleaned out this weekend and maybe get to planting late Sunday. I'm sooo excited....yes, I'm a dork! LOL

godsstep, you can take the rain.. sick of it.. since march we have had about 6 days with out rain here... last month was record amount, now all it does it rain every day... teh bugs are going to be really bad this year.

i finally put mine in the ground yesterday between rain storms, from the pots they were in.

Yeah it’s like here most people think rainy days are great weather, most of us are tired of the sun. When it gets cold and cloudy most people are outside enjoying the weather. We get all excited here when we start seeing clouds, and smell rain. Ugly weather is great weather by my book, but then again all we have is hot weather.
That is insane though only 6 days without rain, wow I am sure I would be tired of it after living there for 2 months or so.

I know what you mean, it feels like i am living in Seattle!! My 2nd year hops shot up to almost 8 feet and between the rain and the cold they have just stopped growing altogether bring on the sun!!!

Yeah its been raining for 4 days straight here in Central PA. Looks like we'll get a break on Saturday. Oh dear god my yard is going to be anightmare

NY, PA, NJ has been getting slammed for a while now too. We just got 4.5 inches of rain at my house over the past 4 days and there's more on the way!

in the syracuse areas we are number 3 for the wettest on record 15+ inches of rain right now... i think the record is like 25 or something like that, i sure hope it doesnt get that high, ill be buying a boat instead of a new car....

I was talking to an old farmer last night who was waiting to get his soy beans in. He said that this rain is going to be devastating to the farmers around here. They can't get crops in the ground, they can't cut hay and their lagoons are getting ready to overflow because they can't spread manure either. It is getting pretty ugly, he said to watch what grocery prices do later in the year. UGH!

Yes the rain does really make it difficult to enjoy hops growing. I would put on the rubber boots and plant your hops, you might have to plant them in a mound though. The rain could stop and the sun might be too much for them. My hops are growing the wettest spot in my yard, next to my drainage swale. They are doing well, they are fairly hardy once established.

I was talking to an old farmer last night who was waiting to get his soy beans in. He said that this rain is going to be devastating to the farmers around here. They can't get crops in the ground, they can't cut hay and their lagoons are getting ready to overflow because they can't spread manure either. It is getting pretty ugly, he said to watch what grocery prices do later in the year. UGH!

yeah, i was driving by a couple corn fields yesterday, most of them have not even been tilled/plowed yet.. this year is going to be real hard for cash when it comes to crop foods (everything).

i do a veggy garden almost every year.. i havent even started to plant because the garden is under 2+ inches of water.

Yes the rain does really make it difficult to enjoy hops growing. I would put on the rubber boots and plant your hops, you might have to plant them in a mound though. The rain could stop and the sun might be too much for them. My hops are growing the wettest spot in my yard, next to my drainage swale. They are doing well, they are fairly hardy once established.

I decided to try my hand at growing hops this year, and I finally had to do the same thing you suggested. I built small mounds and got my rhizomes in the ground, and within 2 days I already had them up out of the dirt and reaching for the sky! They're currently surrounded by a moat, but they don't seem to mind.

The rain finally stopped last night (at least for a couple days) so I'm anxious to see what they think of that thing called the sun.

In the same boat as most everyone else. I'm from Montana and it just won't stop. Supposed to get another 2-4 inches of rain over the weekend. Only had a few days break 70 degrees. Not to mention we haven't seen much sun. I hop the little gals do ok.

Im in central PA and im sure the hops i planted 6 weeks ago arent going to sprout, at least my grape vines are looking nice

I am in Minneapolis and it has been the worst spring EVER. Cold and rainy every weekend. I planted my hops anyway about 5 weeks ago and the fuggle and glacier poked out of the ground a few days ago. I think I might have pulled the cascade leaves poking out of the ground a week or so ago thinking it was a weed (well it is, isn't it?). Do you think it will send up more shoots or am I FUBAR?

This has been a tough spring on my hops. I clipped back all my early growth in April. I wish I would have let them grow now. Everything is way behind and I'm starting to get hop pests already and the rain is making my pesticide regimen a lot less effective.

This has been a tough spring on my hops. I clipped back all my early growth in April. I wish I would have let them grow now. Everything is way behind and I'm starting to get hop pests already and the rain is making my pesticide regimen a lot less effective.

I feel ya... I've got a bad case of spider mites and it seems every morning I have to go back and re-apply the pesticide because it rained the night before, which the bine is not handling well at all. :(

Dear Diary,

...the sun came out today!

-Mrott

Pretty much says it all. I think I might have seen one of my hop sprouts getting washed away the other day. I know where I planted them over a month ago but there is nothing evident in the dirt to support that concept... I guess if this year fails, there's always next year...

Sigh... I have a bunch of rhizomes I want to plant and I can't because of all the rain over the past few weeks. At this rate it will be June before I get them in the ground. Oh well.... certainly wasn't expecting anything from them this year anyway.

Bring on the sun!!!

I feel ya man, i was on vacation for two weeks and came back to a jungle in my yard. You can imagine what the grass looked like at two weeks of straight rain and no mowing, yikes! Hops grew a few feet tho and my garden plants appreciated it so i guess it wasnt all bad.

I was glad for the rain, while I was gone my hops grew over a foot mostly due to the rain. I think I may have been under watering them due to worrying about rotting.

beerloaf

Back