how long will ingredients keep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrunner

Reaction score
alright, i am going to minneapolis the first part of next week, and i want to go to midwest if i have time and kinda look around, pick up a kit or two, etc. i was thinking, what all ingredients would keep well for a while? how long can i keep liquid yeast in the fridge, or would i be better off to go with dry yeast. i really want what makes better beer, not too worried about whats easier, etc. i made a starter for my first batch, that was no big deal. how about hops? if they're in a kit in the little sealed, non-vacuum bags, will they stay well in the freezer? just thinking about doing another kit or two, then maybe trying an actual recipe off here. will lme keep long? should it be refrigerated? should i go dme instead? i do have a full sizw fridge in the garage thats all mine, and a small deep freeze that i use for wild game, which i could throw some stuff into in a ziploc or something. i think i'll get at least a better bottle while i'm there, but if the kits will keep i might as well get 3-4 to use up throughout the winter and save the shipping. any advice? thanks, nick

It depends on how long you plan on storing each of your items. Liquid yeast will usually have a production date or a best if used by date on them. If you're going to be holding on to the yeast for months it might be better to just get dry or order the liquid yeast when you're going to need it.

Hops should go in the freezer for long term storage. If they are in the vacuum sealed bags they can last a year or more the freezer. If they are in bags that do have some oxygen in them I believe they will degrade over time, even if in the freezer. Not sure on the time frame.

For LME, treat it like any perishable food item and store in the fridge. It will keep for a while without much loss in quality. But if you're really concerned or will be storing it for many months before use you might want to just stick to DME.

Don't forget about the specialty grains if your kits have them. If they have already been crushed those have a shelf life as well. Uncrushed grains can store for much longer so that might be something to consider

i'm really just thinking that if a kit will keep for 2 months or so by refrigerating the lme and yeast and freezing the hops, i'll get 2 kits. i'll probably just do that, because two kits and a better bottle will be enough spending, any more than that, and i'll probably get noticed for sure.

You can also freeze the LME. If you have the room in the freezer I would just freeze the whole kit. (Take the liquid yeast out and put it in the fridge though!)

Back