Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norn_irn

Reaction score
ive been searching around to try and get as a local beer as i can. my friend is a farmer and grows Riviera barley and westminster barley.
have any of you guys heard of these??? do you think it would work out as a good beer??????

cheers

GAWA
Green and White Army

I have not heard of them, but they have to be malted in order to be of much use.

No offence, but you probably aren't capable of malting yourself - though it's a DIY project I'm sure as been tried and possibly even successfully. So if not malted, then i'd say that's a non-starter unless you want to use them as specialty grains, and roast them. In that way, unmalted grains can be used to add colour and flavour, but not fermentable sugars.

If they are malted, then absolutely go for it. Maybe start by using less than 25% of them in the grist and work your way up or down as needed.

no offence taken, noeldunas, i didnt realise this. was just thinking of getting them direct from the farmer. so who does the malting???? im curious and trying to gain some knowlegde on the way.

Holy sweet jesus. I figured some crazy guy would try this. Kudos to em'!

I'm a bit of a 'seperation of labour' kind of guy. I'll let the pros do certain things, I'll stick to brewing. I don't know exactly where I draw the DIY line, but malting is certainly on the otherside of it!

Holy sweet jesus. I figured some crazy guy would try this. Kudos to em'!

I'm a bit of a 'seperation of labour' kind of guy. I'll let the pros do certain things, I'll stick to brewing. I don't know exactly where I draw the DIY line, but malting is certainly on the otherside of it!

Now THAT sums up, exactly, what I thought when I saw that. Nice.

Back