What did I make? Too much Honey used in Honey Wheat recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingo5150

Reaction score
I used too much honey in brewing a Honey Wheat recipe created by my local brewstock supply store. I'm used to using kits sold from Midwest and Austin where they give you the exact amount of everything you need. The honey container was not labelled so I didn't realize until it was too late that I used about 3lbs. All 3 lbs were used in the full hour boil. I finished out the rest of the recipe/routine as I normally would. A week after fermentation ended I tasted it. It was god awful. I waited another 2 weeks and it had a very wine like quality. Another 3 weeks and it kinda tasted like mead. What exactly have I made here? This was my 10th brew batch and only the second Honey Wheat i've brewed. The first one only called for about 1-1/2 lbs of honey in the boil and didn't really have much of a honey taste. Should I continue to let this sit in the primary? Should I move over to a secondary? Should I just bottle it and see what happens? Full Recipe below.

1/2 Gambrinus Honey Malt, 2lb briess red wheat malt, 3lb orange blossom liquid honey, 2lb briess wheat DME CBW Bavarian Wheat, Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Liquid Smack, 1/2 OZ bitter orange peel, 1/2 oz cracked coriander

Hello, I would move it to a secondary or bottle it, leave it at 70 deg and every 2 weeks or so try it.

I made a honey wheat and went way overboard with the honey, it finally mellowed with a lot of time, but was still a lot honey/sweet tasting, one of my friends absolutely loves it, so Im saving them for when he comes over!

Cheers :mug:

Back