Amarillo Hop Dust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
methinks that the dust would have higher AA% than hop pellets and flowers since there is a higher proportion of lupelin glands in the dust and less vegetal matter. i say this based on the dust at the bottom of my pound bags.

Did you count the lupelin glands in the dust?

I doubt it has questionable alpha content. It's probably smack in the middle of Amarillo's alpha range.

We won't know unless we call up, because the supplier did not disclose that information. Even then, he will probably say, "Well the batch was 9.2% aa at harvest" and not give you a concrete answer about the dust aa%. But I would make and educated guess that it is lower than the aa% in the original hops; probably by a point or three.

Did you count the lupelin glands in the dust?
didn't need to, i could see them. the glands get knocked off the leaves and fall as dust at the bottom of the bag.

related: i was listening to an old episode of the Jamil Show, and jamil was saying this is the reason he prefers pellets to whole cones - pellets are more consistent.

Amarillo is scarce....Sounds like we've resorted to the junkie looking for scraps of their chosen drug to get that last high. LOL. Just a joke, this stuff may be just fine, just couldn't resist the chance to express the picture that popped into my mind. :mug:

sweetcell said:
methinks that the dust would have higher AA% than hop pellets and flowers since there is a higher proportion of lupelin glands in the dust and less vegetal matter. i say this based on the dust at the bottom of my pound bags.

Man I used to love the bottom of a lb bag.. Good point ;)

bja said:
When you buy a pound of pellet hops you should be able to assume that they haven't been laying on the floor.

You don't know how long it was laying around the machine before they swept it up.

In this case I can only recommend you never visit a medium/large scale hop farm.

bottlebomber said:
Man I used to love the bottom of a lb bag.. Good point ;)

Ahh to be young again. That's just what I was thinking. Sounds like hop kif to me.

Curious that they only have Amarillo dust for sale when they have not had Amarillo hops for sale yet this year. Logic dictates that the dust is a witches brew of all the hops that they have processed to date -- and that's a hefty price to pay for something you really don't know what your getting. I think that this Amarillo scarcity has thrown reason out the window and brewers will pay anything for what they hope is a good deal. Reminds me of dealers cutting their drugs at their customer's expense.

Curious that they only have Amarillo dust for sale when they have not had Amarillo hops for sale yet this year. Logic dictates that the dust is a witches brew of all the hops that they have processed to date -

Considering they don't pelletize hops, logic says the hop dust is from their supplier.

They were planning on getting Amarillo. Amarillo came up really short this year. My hunch is they got stiffed, and LD Carlson probably offered hop dust as a condolence. Jesus Christ people jump to the worst conclusions...

Considering they don't pelletize hops, logic says the hop dust is from their supplier.

They were planning on getting Amarillo. Amarillo came up really short this year. My hunch is they got stiffed, and LD Carlson probably offered hop dust as a condolence. Jesus Christ people jump to the worst conclusions...

This makes a lot of sense.

Whalewang said:
Curious that they only have Amarillo dust for sale when they have not had Amarillo hops for sale yet this year. Logic dictates that the dust is a witches brew of all the hops that they have processed to date -- and that's a hefty price to pay for something you really don't know what your getting. I think that this Amarillo scarcity has thrown reason out the window and brewers will pay anything for what they hope is a good deal. Reminds me of dealers cutting their drugs at their customer's expense.

One man's logic is another man's conspiracy theory.

How is the origin of this product any less certain than that of any pellet hop?

Saw a homeless guy smoking half used butts out of an ashtray at the stadium the other day. I go, dude wtf? Nasty. He says, "whatever. At least I'm not drinking hop sawdust."

Hey man, you ever look at a twenty dollar bill..ON HOP DUST?

Next craze, brewed with hop dust. If anybody is interested, I have some powdered beer for sale. Street name, DME. It's the shizzo yo!

I remember Miami in the early 80s, late 70s. Boom town. For all the wrong reasons. In those days, 85% of the $100 bills that passed through town tested positive for hop dust.

Just got mine in. Definitely a little better than a pound but haven't weighed it out yet. I know not everyone thinks it's a good deal, but its the same thing as a crushed up pellet and smells amazing. "Angel Dust IPA" on deck!

ForumRunner_20121129_205850.jpg

Looks pretty legit to me... I think the other guys were bendejo's for not getting with the program. I haven't gotten mine yet but I think I'm gonna use half of it in one batch.

I'm planning on using about 4oz of it in the IPA I have planned. The price was definitely right and I will be sure to post the final rest.

Just got mine in. Definitely a little better than a pound but haven't weighed it out yet. I know not everyone thinks it's a good deal, but its the same thing as a crushed up pellet and smells amazing. "Angel Dust IPA" on deck!

View attachment 86155

Picture's a little blurry, but is that a dust bunny in the lower right corner of the bag?

P.S. You guys know I'm just kidding, right?

The hop dust is legit.

It came off a new package assembly line indicated in these photos:
21581_522333347794443_625411396_n.jpg

I emailed them and they stated it never touches the ground. It's from the conveyor belt and the hopper that feeds the pellets into the bag. The natural movement of the pellets causes dust- just as with the bottom of mylar foils. I tried the dust out and they are legit Amarillo (Although that could be subjective). However, it smells extremely similar to the other Amarillo pellets I have left over from last year.

Considering the stress on Amarillo crop this year - I think this is a good use of salvageable hops. These guys had 2012 crop available before any other vendor.

Hmmm, never heard of hop dust, but the dust left over in a bag of leaf hops is mostly yellow, which is the good stuff. Probably no way to guess at the AA%, but might be great for flavor and aroma. If the price was right, it might be worth a try.

Bob

They have the aa listed as 10.3, but I don't know how accurate that is. I'm sure it's a decent baseline and since I only use it for late additions it's not a problem for me.

The hop dust is legit.

It came off a new package assembly line indicated in these photos:
21581_522333347794443_625411396_n.jpg

I emailed them and they stated it never touches the ground. It's from the conveyor belt and the hopper that feeds the pellets into the bag. The natural movement of the pellets causes dust- just as with the bottom of mylar foils. I tried the dust out and they are legit Amarillo (Although that could be subjective). However, it smells extremely similar to the other Amarillo pellets I have left over from last year.

Considering the stress on Amarillo crop this year - I think this is a good use of salvageable hops. These guys had 2012 crop available before any other vendor.

Self promotion of your own business is not allowed on HBT.

I question why he would need to hide his affiliation with the company. Why not come into the light of day and answer questions. Posing as somebody else raises some concerns about legitimacy for me and would be enough to drive me to another source.

How do we know that he (neighbrohood) is affiliated with Yakima?

Not sure, but Mods have flagged his (relatively few) posts before.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/homebrew-supply-websites-701/index2.html#post4638490

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/label-peelers-says-longer-368124/#post4638484

Doing the google due diligence, theneighbrohood looks like a teenage rap group from the PNW:

"The NeighBROhood is a Hip Hop Collective Hailing from Pacific NorthWest.

Defined by North West, Rhymes, Mountain Culture, Skating, Ultimate, Golf, Microbrews and All Things Fresh."

Not sure how that name got attached to the owner of Yakima. He probably just works there.

Back