Cooling question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonnybunch

Reaction score
So, last week I brewed my first batch on my new setup, I'm working abroad in Russia and was sick of drinking bad beer. I brewed AG back home a few years ago but fell out of the habit.

I brewed a Simcoe SMaSH and everything went smoothly, the smell coming out of the fermenter is awesome!

My question is this - my flat is red hot in the winter (government controlled heating) so it never gets below 80. Using a swamp cooler/t-shirt/frozen bottles & a fan I can get the temp down to a steady 65. I plan on leaving the beer in primary a month before bottling but was wondering if I need to maintain a strict 65 temperature the whole month, or once the initial fermentation's done I can let the beer warm up a bit without any off-flavors developing and use my one fan elsewhere.

Cheers!

Temp control is most important during active fermentation or somewhere during the first week. After that it is less of an issue but I wouldn't recommend ambient which in your case would be pretty warm:)

If you can keep it in the swamp cooler you wouldn't have to keep swapping out frozen bottles and the water alone will help maintain a steady lower temp.

I live in AZ and my house is around 80f during the summer. I also use the swamp cooler to maintain my temps and after primary fermentation is over, I let the temp rise up to 75f depending on the style and maintain there. Then I bottle and let carb at ambient temps and toss em all in the fridge as soon as they are carbed which can be as short as a week at those temps on low-mid gravity brews.

Latest posts

Back