Repitch from incorrect pitch rate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRawl

Reaction score
So, you guys have probably answered this a thousand times, but I can't seem to find an answer for my problem. I brewed my second batch two days ago. It is a partial mash Irish Red Ale non-kit brew. My OG was 1.070. I aerated and pitched one packet of Wyeast 1084 at 70 degrees. Not thinking about it at the time and after doing a little research, I think I may have under-pitched. Fermentation started 24 hours after pitching and is still going strong at 48+ hours.

Should I repitch another packet or so of 1084?

Is it too late to do that?

Is it even worth it?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would wait and see if it drops to the correct FG. You definitely under-pitched, but if it's fermenting I wouldn't worry about it too much. I under pitched a lot of batches before I learned about pitching rates, and they almost all made good beer.

Let it go now. Adding more yeast would only be a drop in the bucket compared to how many you have in their now, unless you made a HUGE starter, which would mean more time.

Fermentation started 24 hours after pitching and is still going strong at 48+

Sounds like it's working just fine. There are a few styles where under-pitching changes the flavor and a few where over-pitching is a problem, but most of the time pitch rate just changes how quickly the fermentation starts and 24 hours is good.

UPDATE:

Its been a week since brewing, so I decided to take a gravity reading. Gravity is at 1.018. I tasted what I had tested and it had a fairly strong alcohol taste, but very close to what I have tasted of Irish reds. Its almost close to a scotch ale, but a lot lighter in color. I think its going to be a beast after conditioning!

Back