how to prepare water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supgraffix

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew my 2nd batch of extract (total beginner :eek:) and wanted to cut costs a little bit. Last time I went to the grocery store and just bought jugs of distilled (I think?) water and used it, but this time I would like to boil tap water to use. What is the process for that. Once I boil it, should I throw it in the fridge or freezer the day before using it?

Do you drink water right out of your tap? If you do, no need to process it in any way

I agree. If the tap tastes good, then use it. You really only have to worry about the quality of your tap water if it tastes bad or once you start going all grain, as pH is a factor. I use tap water for the first 3 gallons, which I use in the boil. After the boil, I top off with 2 gallons chilled drinking/spring water. I've never used distilled, and have read you should stay away from using it as it is missing the minerals... could taste flat.

What about the possibility of have chlorine in your tap water (I don't know if mine has it or not, but I live in a city so...)? Does that not really matter? Just want to make sure I don't mess up/contaminate my beer but would be nice to save a few dollars!

Sadly my house has its own well and the water we get from it...well it wont kill us but the water tests I've had show some minerals several times that of the EPA recommendations for those minerals. We have an RO system but there is no way it can supply enough water for brewing (just a 1.2 gal tank). So I buy my own water. My suggestion to anyone who has to buy their water for brewing...

Go to a Walmart, Target, Kmart... In the past I've picked up gallon bottles of spring or drinking water for less than $.70. Also watch out for sales at grocery stores. The last batch I just made yesterday was from water I bought for $.50 a gallon 2 months ago (was a slacker and hadn't brewed for a while).

I'm thinking of buying one of those 3 or 5 gallon culligan tanks from wal-mart and fill it up for 25 cents per gallon on brewday, and use it for the top-up water at the least.

My tap water looks really cloudy when I fill anything larger than a cup with it, even though it doesn't taste bad.

My grocery store sells drinking water in #1 bottles. So i can get brewing water AND a fermenter in one purchase. :D

Do you drink water right out of your tap? If you do, no need to process it in any way

I agree. I even use it for my top-off without treating it or boiling it. So far, great beer, no problems. If it looks and tastes good, you're safe.

are #2's acceptable as well?

Yes, #1 and #2 are safe. I think #7 is the one you really want to avoid. However, there are plenty of people who would tell you it doesn't matter.

Back