White Fuzzy Stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The focus on my camera phone is crap, so I'm not sure if the pictures are helpful. But, I noticed some white fuzzy stuff on my Cascade bine today. Coincidentally, I noticed burrs on it yesterday, so I'm not willing to lose it to some disease or such. I don't think it's mite webbing, because there's more on the bine than on the leaves, though there is some on some of the nearby leaves, and one leaf has a bunch of it on the underside. After getting the pictures I started pulling the stuff off. Then I noticed what I can only describe as a small white fuzzy bug. No idea what it was, but it was a jumper. Now I'm trying to figure out if this thing laid down some of this stuff, or if it's some sort of mold/fungus and the bug was just a coincidence or what? Anyone had anything similar?

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

I have had some too. I put a mild soap/garlic/habanero soup on it. That seemed to get rid of it temporarily. Turn over all of the leaves you can, it likes to hide.

If you know its a bug and not mold, mix up a mild concentration of soap and water. Ivory soap works well...it doesn't have many additives. It one of the mildest soaps on the market. Put in spray bottle and apply every other day until it starts to dissapear. Bugs hate soap! I do this around my garden when I see bugs on my basil plants. Doesn't hurt the plant and rinses right off. It works great.

Back