Take a look at my Nugget IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I've had a quarter oz of nugget that I've been wanting to make an IPA with. Think I'm brewing this bad boy up tonight.

10# 2 row
1# C60
.5# sugar
.25# Wyerman dark crystal

I'm then going to blend Nugget and Columbus 50/50 and do the charges like this:
1oz @ 60
1oz @ 15
1oz @ 10
1oz @ 5

Pitch US05

After two weeks dryhop with 1oz Columbus and 2oz Nugget for 5-7 days.

1.060/ 75 IBU/ 11 SRM

That looks good to me. I personally like the 60,15,10,5 routine. Should definitely get some good hop bitterness, flavor and aroma through all those additions plus dryhops.

My last ipa was fwh, 15, flame out, dh. I liked it, but I want this one to have a firmer bitterness, along with good flavor. And hopefully some "punch you in the face" dh aroma. I'm thinking I might change that 5 addy to flame out/steep. We'll see.

To me it depends on the og and how many hop varieties you use, if its a single hop I usually go with a BU:GU .9-1:1
For example 60 ibu to 1.060 OG
If using 2-3 hop varieties I tend to get more extreme as I want the individual bitterness and flavor of each variety to come through therefore I go more 1.5:1 BU:GU, I am working on a black IPA Hopped with Columbus, Centennial and Cascade and dry hopped with Amarillo that has 130 ibu and a gravity of 1.076.

About to start the boil. Now I'm tossing around going 20,15,10,flame out. Hmmm. Whatever. I'll probably decide when I do it. That tends to be the pattern. :D

I ended up brewing the recipe as written in the OP. My propane burner blew out at sometime during the boil when I went to go make a sandwich. Since my IbUs were going to be wacky anyway, I just went with the first version. No worries though, I have a feeling that IBU listings are just general estimates most of the time anyway. Should be good either way. It'll be beer anyway! :D

I know. I have beersmith. Just saying that I doubt the calculations (through no fault of the program) are really that accurate anyway. Plenty of problems (measurement, aging, etc) to go around. I'm a sceptic though. Unless you send a sample to a lab, you're only guessing anyway as far as I see it.

The whole thing is you have to assume some level of clarity for that matter there are a dozen other things that will throw your calculation off, however, the IBU of any given beer is a measurement of the alpha acids absorbed through the boiling process. If you can't count on them with some level of clarity they serve no purpose. I do my calculations on paper. And use pretty much a 15 minute interval hopping process, however, I use my ibu calculations to determine how much for each interval.

I think the calculations are probably closer than you think. I especially if you are buying ingredients that are fresh and well taken care of from a vendor that makes sure to properly handle hops.

Back