First homebrew. grand cru

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galensmitty

Reaction score
Hi,
I am brewing my first ever batch. I got a kit from homebrew heaven, and started Charlie Papazian's Grand Cru recipe. It's a dry extract recipe with honey, hallertaur hops, coriander, and orange peel. I used the Wyeast Belgian wit beer yeast.
It's been in the secondary fermenter(Glass Carboy) for 4 days now, fermentation lock is bubbling twice a minute. Any Ideas on how long it needs to stay there, 2 weeks?, until the gravity is consistent over a few days?
Also, I was wondering how much corn sugar to use to give it close to authentic carbonization for 5 gallons, 3/4 cup?
And then how long should it be bottle conditioned?, 10 days?
Thanks,
I'll let you know how it comes out.

Happy Homebrewing!

I have a batch in secondary at the moment also. I'm following advice from these forums that seems to be the common recommendation.
I,2,3... I week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 3 weeks in the bottle.

Tommy

The 1,2,3 recomendation could be different here in this case though. Depending on how much honey you used, it might take a little longer to ferment out. Generally when it gets to a secondary, the airlock activity is pretty nonexistent. You most certainly do not want to bottle if you have ANY airlock activity. Just let it sit there and when the airlock activity stops, give it a few more days.

What was the recipe? Sounds real nice from the description so far:)

Sounds like you pretty well answered your own questions. You don't want to rush this beer because it has a good bit of honey in it and honey ferments more slowly than typical beer sugars from malted barley.

I'd give it at least 2 weeks in the secondary and then take a hydrometer reading, then another two days later. Don't bottle until their exactly the same.

3/4 cup corn sugar is good. If you want it very highly carbonated, as some Belgians are, you could go to more like 7/8 cup.

Recipe is on page 192 of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. I know, because I've made this recipe too, and I love it. I personally think 1.5 oz of coriander is too much, 1 oz was overpowering for me. This was my second brew ever, and I think it's excellent for beginners. There's no specialty grains, yet it has very complex flavors.

5 lbs light DME
2 lbs light honey

1 oz Hallertauer hops (Bittering)
0.5 Hallertauer hops (Flavor)
0.5 Hallertauer hops (Aroma)

1.5 oz Freshly crushed coriander seeds

0.5 dried ground orange peel

Belgian Whit (wheat) beer-type yeast

DIRECTIONS:

Boil malt, honey, and boiling hops w/ 2 gal of water for 45 minutes. Then add half of the coriander and the flavor hops for ten minutes. Then add the rest of the coriander and orange peel for 5 minutes. In the last 2 minutes of the boil add the aroma hops. Cool the wort, then add 3 gallons to the fermenter and pitch yeast. Papazian suggests adding a whole coriander seed to each bottle, but I think that's overkill. mmmmmm now I want some....

eviltwinofjoni said:
Recipe is on page 192 of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. I know, because I've made this recipe too, and I love it. I personally think 1.5 oz of coriander is too much, 1 oz was overpowering for me. This was my second brew ever, and I think it's excellent for beginners. There's no specialty grains, yet it has very complex flavors.

5 lbs light DME
2 lbs light honey

1 oz Hallertauer hops (Bittering)
0.5 Hallertauer hops (Flavor)
0.5 Hallertauer hops (Aroma)

1.5 oz Freshly crushed coriander seeds

0.5 dried ground orange peel

Belgian Whit (wheat) beer-type yeast

DIRECTIONS:

Boil malt, honey, and boiling hops w/ 2 gal of water for 45 minutes. Then add half of the coriander and the flavor hops for ten minutes. Then add the rest of the coriander and orange peel for 5 minutes. In the last 2 minutes of the boil add the aroma hops. Cool the wort, then add 3 gallons to the fermenter and pitch yeast. Papazian suggests adding a whole coriander seed to each bottle, but I think that's overkill. mmmmmm now I want some....

that recipe sounds good... i think i might try that one in the future :mug:

\thanls for all the input.
I might try 7/8 of a cup of corn sugar to make it more carbonated.
and I'll let you all know how it goes.
can't wait to start my next batch

I love the 1-2-3 method, however a lot of my primary fermentations have taken up to 2wks and the secondarys and additional 2+. Carbonation takes 2wks+ I attribute it to lower fermentation temperatures in my basement.

I am going to make this, however, am using liquid M.E. Instead of dry. Also, wondering about adding more orange, dialing back coriander as suggested, and adding honey post boil? Any thoughts?

Back