Caramel Vanilla Milk Ale, Pt 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
So I've decided to re-brew my CV ale. It's received good reviews all around, and to be honest, I miss it. I only have two bottles left and one is for Walker (when I get around to shipping it - sorry!)

I'm doing a variation on it. This time, I ordered some hops from Freshops.com. They didn't have Tettnanger, so I'm going with some Hallertauer. I'm going to increase the hop usage by about 50% so I'll use 3oz instead of 2oz. It'll be an oz of Cascade for bittering, an oz of Saaz for flavor, and an oz of Hallertauer for aroma.

I'm also thinking of adding 8oz of Malto-Dextrine to make it a little "mouthier". Will that be too sweet if I mix it with Lactose? Should I cut the lactose to compensate for the MD?

I was almost tempted to try a new yeast, but I want to make as few changes as possible. I want it to be just slightly different, not completely.

Most people don't pick up much sweetness from MD, but you could reserve 1/2 of the lactose and decide just before bottling on adding it back.

Cheesefood said:
I'm also thinking of adding 8oz of Malto-Dextrine to make it a little "mouthier". Will that be too sweet if I mix it with Lactose? Should I cut the lactose to compensate for the MD?
Malto-Dextrine adds mouthfeel only...no sweetness, so don't cut back on the lactose.

ORRELSE said:
I think the only thing you should "drop" from that recipe is the MILK in the name. It makes it sound disgusting. :D :p

Good...keeps people away from my delicious beer!

I see you made the Freedom Ale. Does it really only cost a buck o'fav??

From all of the posts you have made about this brew you convinced me a while ago to brew it. I am going to as soon as i have some money. I have not brewed a batch in 2 months because of that damn thing called money.

Latest posts

Back