o-ring in ball-lock connector?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilotandy

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging, and tonight was my first attempt at loading a 5g corny keg. Everything went well loading and pressurizing it. When I tried to hook up the black plastic ball-lock connector to the pressurized keg, cider came shooting out of the top of the connector. I found I could take out the plug (around which the cider was spraying). Is there supposed to be an o-ring on it, or does the plastic plug just seal against the plastic connector?

Thanks!

Andy

There is suppose to be a rubber o-ring. Usually from what I have seen, they are square-cut, but I'm sure any o-ring that fits would work.

Did you happen to check inside the disconnect, to see if the o-ring was simply stuck down inside?

I have had MANY close calls with disassembling those damn things above the sink, and almost dropping the o-ring, spring, or poppet down the drain... Still haven't learned my lesson.

If you can't find it, I would just buy another disconnect instead of looking an o-ring. Then you can use the disconnect without the o-ring as spare parts.

I have had MANY close calls with disassembling those damn things above the sink, and almost dropping the o-ring, spring, or poppet down the drain... Still haven't learned my lesson.

Another thing, if you have 2 different brands of disconnects don't disassemble them all to clean them at the same time. I took apart 2 different brands of liquid disconnects for cleaning and didn't think I was ever going to get the right parts back in the right housings so they didn't leak. The parts are just different enough to not be interchangeable but still will assemble together.

Back