what to do with 1.18 FG for coopers kit stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrawbag

Reaction score
my question is should i give it another week in the primary or transfer to a secondary 5g glass carboy?
its a coopers kit irish stout with 1.5kg LME 5gallon with a yeast nutrient pack added to the starter. i have never used a nutrient pack before, should this change the FG?
the SG was 1.042 and after 2 weeks it was down to 1.020 and after a third week its about 1.020 or 1.018.
its pure h20 so the water source gravity should be 1.000
will i wait another week or transfer ?

whats the fg supposed to be? No it wouldn't change the fg, yeast nutrient just helps for a healthy fermentation. 1.018 seems a little high for a 1.042 start. Thats only 46.51% attenuation

"Thats only 46.51% attenuation"

thats why i am a little worried about it. forgot to say its at a constant 19 c thats 63.3.f
i dont know what it should be . the last time i did this kit it came down to 1.014

Is there anywhere in the kit that says what the fg should be?? Sorry im not much help always been an all grain brewer

the kit instructions are the same as the instructions for all beers and it says typical readings are 1.042 and 1.006
thats way off.

the instructions also say keep it above 18 c and i have it at 19. mabey the temp is off a bit and its too cold for it. should i up the temp a few degrees and give it another week in the primary to ensure its fully done?

Ok,I just did the math,& 19C equals 66.2F by the formula of (C x 1.8C) + 32 = Fahrenheit. So 66F is a good temp for ale yeast. I've even done 18C with the cooper's yeast with good results.
I agree that 1.018 is a little too high for a OG 1.042. That one should be around 1.009 from my experience. Try gently swirling the fermenter to rouse some yeast with no splashing. That might get them going again. And try raising the temp to 20c & see if that helps knock off a few more points.
I had to do that on my Burton ale.

I generally ferment my stout and ales at 21C. Try heating it up a little, it should work. You could try wrapping it in a warm towels

That 1.006 is probably with dextrose added. Are you using a hydrometer?

im using a hydrometer. i tested my hydrometer in pure h2o and its only off by 1 point so the values are true or very close to it. ill raise the temp by 1 degree for two days with a gentle swirl. 20 to 21 c should do it.
i didnt put dextrose in it only light liquid malt extract
thanks for ur help guys.it's good to get some reassurance

whats the fg supposed to be? No it wouldn't change the fg, yeast nutrient just helps for a healthy fermentation. 1.018 seems a little high for a 1.042 start. Thats only 46.51% attenuation

Where do you get that from? It seems like >50% attenuation.

update on this in case any of you were wondering.
i left it in the primary another week with the temp up a little and it didnt change the fg. still 1.018 so i transferred to glass carboy and after 24 hrs i see activity in the form of bubbles rising from the stout so i would say there is some fermentation being done in the secondry.
in the pic you can see the bubbles forming in clumps in four or five places. this is more activity than expected but im delighted it is. i need to get it down from 1.018

DSC01606.jpg

Not to be the harbinger of doom,but that could just be dissolved co2 off gassing from the transfer. Keep an eye on it though,you never know...

Not to be the harbinger of doom,but that could just be dissolved co2 off gassing from the transfer. Keep an eye on it though,you never know...
:(:(

its only my 3rd brew so im not sure. :confused:i thought after 24 hrs it must be fermentation but ill check it in a week or two

It could very well be finished at 1.018. I've had a stout finish 10 points higher than it was supposed to be and had other beers finish 6-10 points lower than they should have.

I'd say throw a pack of rehydrated Nottingham yeast in there to see if it starts up again. It wont hurt and its only $2-$3 for a pack.

What kind of stout is it? Normal stout FG can range from 1.010 to 1.024. There can be a lot of unfermentables in a stout.

What kind of stout is it? Normal stout FG can range from 1.010 to 1.024. There can be a lot of unfermentables in a stout.

it's a coopers kit. just irish stout with a can of LME but the water had no mineral content so that might have slowed it down

i think ill wait a week to add yeast to see if the fg comes down as i think stirring it up a bit during the transfer might have helped
i have done this kit before and i got it down to 1.014

an update on this one for u guys. it sat in the 2ndry and i racked it back into the primary to mix sugar (4.5oz )(2 high) and it had a lovely yeast cake at the bottom. it is down to 1.014. lovely
unionrdr you were right it was just "dissolved co2 off gassing from the transfer" but it did ferment a bit even tough i didnt know it till i racked it.
when i moved it to the 2ndry a few weeks ago i stole a bottle :D carbon dropped it and im drinking it now to celebrate the wheat beer i did straight after i bottled it. i have been awake 24 hrs. and it was the most complicated one. first time using finishing hops in an extract kit. hopefully freshen it up
the stout has mellowed out a lot. a bit too much. the nice stout/ roast kick is gone off it. i wonder will another month make it sh*t?
anyway thats my rambling update. thanks for ur help when i needed it guys
:drunk:

Most of the time that's what's happening. Just off gassing. But-yeast still in suspension can go to work after racking. I think even using transfer tubing into the bottom of the secondary gets some minute amount of o2 in there. I believe that's what combines with unmetabolized sugars that wakes up the yeast that are left. Fermentation then finishes up.
That's my current theory,anyway,due to similar experiences.

Back